cvk 32 kawasaki concours carbs

More
05 May 2016 08:33 #724707 by zg1000
cvk 32 kawasaki concours carbs was created by zg1000
Hey guys. having some issues with my carbs

recently bought the bike knowing i had to do some carb work. Took the carbs off and sure enough the idle circuits were plugged. before i cleaned them the bike wouldn't even idle. now she idles fine but has a hesitation studder off the line until you get it into the main jets, its not huge but its pretty annoying.

i polished the float needle seats and set them all to 17mm which put the fuel level at about 1-2mm over the parting line. oddly on one of the carbs i had to set the float at 16mm to attain the same fuel level as the 17mm floats via the clear tube method. im thinking the needle spring is wore out on that needle? the bike is only 10 years old so i thought i could get away with out putting new needles in. BTW the pilots jets are 2 turns out.

im ordering need needles and going to put them in, but a part of me is thinking its not going to help anything. the fuel levels are ok so i dont know what new needles are really going to help. im almost thinking theres still some crap in the carbs but damn, i cleaned the hell out of them (held the pilot and choke circuit closed while spraying carb cleaner in idle jet to get nice atomization from the 4 air bleeder holes in carb body, all were clear). i also vigorously sprayed all passages multiple times. i also removed all rubber parts so i wouldn't damage anything with carb cleaner.

I heard that if the engine will idle ok the idle circuits are not plugged which makes me believe i have got them clean.

perhaps the fuel levels are too high at 1-2mm over the parting line? maybe i should take them all down to the parting line?

i also checked the plug wires and all are at 4.8-5k ohms which is perfect. fresh gas too. i haven't replaced the plugs because they look good, almost new.

any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2016 09:42 #724734 by strum
Replied by strum on topic cvk 32 kawasaki concours carbs
Guys ZG1000 was treated poorly when he asked some of these questions on the other site. So I referred him here knowing you guys have as much knowledge as anyone on these carbs. If yall can help him I sure would appreciate it .
I dont think he is far off on these carbs maybe just need a tweek or two .
ZG i was looking at my book and it says to set the float level .5-1mm (im not at home so im going off memory ) from the bottom of the carb body. .you may be a little high.

Blairsville Ga.

1980 KZ1000 Shaft (sold and missed already)
2003 ZRX 1200R (sold)
2003 Concours ZG1000 (just purchased)

More
05 May 2016 15:26 #724783 by zg1000
Replied by zg1000 on topic cvk 32 kawasaki concours carbs
thanks strum.... i just got the new needles and going to set it up right at the parting line. i also put new plugs in just now and it didnt help.... see what happens after the new needles. fingers crossed

More
05 May 2016 16:08 #724786 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic cvk 32 kawasaki concours carbs
Sounds a touch lean off idle (but over rich can also feel the same) if it's nothing silly like a fluffing spark plug which you seem to have covered.
Could be one or more carbs not fully clear on the pilot circuit too.
Alter the pilot mix on the air/fuel screw .
You could do one at a time to try and isolate the culprit (Returning the setting back to std before moving to the next)
Failing that adjust them all equally working from one extreme to the other (lean to rich) half a turn at a time until the running improves then fine tune from there.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-