kz650 Revvs Keep Climbing

More
02 May 2016 12:57 #724138 by rekvijem
kz650 Revvs Keep Climbing was created by rekvijem
I've got a 77' KZ650B1 and have an issue where when I open the throttle the tach keeps climbing until redline. I just did a top end rebuild on the engine and checked the carb boots for vacuum leaks before but haven't checked them since. Could that be it?

Also, is there an easy way to fit a vacuum operated petcock on the 77 which is just a manual one?
I hate when I forget to turn the gas off and end up with a 5ft wide puddle on the driveway.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2016 13:29 - 02 May 2016 13:31 #724143 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic kz650 Revvs Keep Climbing
If leaving the petcock in the "ON" position results in fuel overflowing from the carbs you need to fix the carbs rather than putting a band-aid on the petcock; they should not leak a single drop even with the petcock on overnight. The fact that your carbs are messed up may be the cause of the high revving. Think about it - if the carbs are flooding when the engine is off they are flooding when the engine is running and that surplus gas may be causing the engine to rev up as it is drawn into the cylinders. If it's not being drawn into the cylinders where else would the excess gas go? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 02 May 2016 13:31 by 650ed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rekvijem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.