Factory Jet Settings 82 KZ440 D?

More
10 Apr 2016 13:24 - 10 Apr 2016 13:29 #720208 by BigPaul440
Factory Jet Settings 82 KZ440 D? was created by BigPaul440
Hello all. Just picked up a clean 82 with a belt drive and 4,000 original miles. I'm using it as an everyday rider and it does fairly well. Although it suffers from high idle when hot and it's running really rich. I've got an exhaust leak which probably isn't helping either. Airbox is intact as per the manual for the D models. Choke cam seems ok and boots are ok. I checked the valves and static timing also appears to be ok. I've read these bikes should get 50-60 mpg and I've tallied that mine only gets 30-35. I've got a leak from the larger side hole near the choke just above the float bowl. I don't know if the jet o rings are bad or if it's a diaphragm issue causing that. So I just assumed that the carbs should need a rebuild. I'll leave the diaphragm side alone and mess with the jets and o rings and go from there. The only info I have found is that the main jet is 2.25 out from lightly seated. But I don't know the settings for the other 2. I've got a clutch, carb kit and exhaust gasket coming hopefully by this weekend so I'll tackle it then. It's been reliable as I'll get out and has been getting me to work and back the last month. I just need to get it dialed in. Help appreciated. Thanks.
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Apr 2016 13:29 by BigPaul440.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2016 13:58 #720212 by undiablo
Replied by undiablo on topic Factory Jet Settings 82 KZ440 D?
Hi BigPaul440.
My first recommendation is to get a Factory Service Manual. You must read the carb section. When you say "2.25 turns out from lightly seated... you are no talking about the main jet, you are referring to you idle fuel mixture screw.

Kawasaki KZ 750/4 LTD 1981
Kawasaki KLR 650 2011
Argentina - Buenos Aires

More
10 Apr 2016 14:30 #720214 by BigPaul440
Replied by BigPaul440 on topic Factory Jet Settings 82 KZ440 D?
Thank you sir. I do have the factory service manual and I can't find the correct settings in the manual. I got the 2.25 from this website.

More
11 Apr 2016 08:40 - 11 Apr 2016 08:43 #720328 by punisher11b
Replied by punisher11b on topic Factory Jet Settings 82 KZ440 D?
Those carbs are kind of a pain to get running right. I would just make sure they are super clean and see how good they run. You can try to fix them up, but if something is wrong with the diaphragms the carbs are toast, super exspensive to replace diaphragms. Look under the maintenance section in the manual and go to carbs for setting info and it will say where to start for the air screw position . 30-35 mpg isn't actually terrible for that bike. I get 20 mpg with mine, with it running a bit rich (different carbs though). I would go ahead replace any o rings and make sure the floats are set correctly. Put an inline fuel filter in then Double then triple check that the carbs are super clean in every little passage. Sounds like your carbs are in fair shape. Hopefully they will work well for you.

- good luck
Last edit: 11 Apr 2016 08:43 by punisher11b.