Answer me this!

More
09 Apr 2016 09:21 #720045 by tri650
Replied by tri650 on topic Answer me this!
I checked them out - i ran a vent tube from each one. I thought maybe that was an issue before.

The issue still remains why did it start running fine in the middle of the ride? I was in a situation with the throttle pinned open and maybe going 30 MPH. Then it slowly started to perk up. Within a mile or two I was at full running. Again, I have had 3 weeks of hit and misses, changing, cleaning, rebuilding everything. All with the same result. If I had done something that caused the change I would feel better, but not knowing what suddenly changed is driving my crazy - or as I tell my wife when she says something is driving her "crazy", I tell her it is driving her "crazier". She loves when I do that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2016 10:03 #720191 by tri650
Looks like all is good. Took it out yesterday for about a 70 mile ride. Ran fine. A little stumble off of idle so I adjusted the pilot screw another 1/4 turn (now 2.5 turns out) and it went away. Seems to respond better in lower mid range also. Make give it a slight turn (about 1/8) to see if that makes it better.

Still haven't figured out what magically fixed itself, although I think it was a fuel delivery issue. Oh well, as long as it keeps running I am good. Now to finish the restoration!

More
10 Apr 2016 16:54 #720225 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Answer me this!
Water in the fuel?

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
10 Apr 2016 18:12 #720233 by tri650
I replaced the fuel 2-3 times. I think I still had some rust after cleaning. Then a seafoam issue. But I have changed out the gas a few times since then so I am confident it has good fuel. Just a mystery that it would run so good and then run like crap. Then recently it ran like it was stumbling at the beginning. Than all of a sudden, after 3 weeks of working on it, it suddenly comes alive. And this was after stumbling for about 5 miles.

If I had to make one guess I would say the petcock. The rebuilt kit was crap. It was still flowing fuel in the ON and RES positions. That was until I took the K&L stuff out and put the stock back in. The only thing is that with the old parts it still ran like crap until it suddenly came alive.

Divine intervention???

More
11 Apr 2016 05:50 #720284 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Answer me this!
That may be.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
11 Apr 2016 06:02 #720287 by strum
Replied by strum on topic Answer me this!
somtehing came unstopped

Blairsville Ga.

1980 KZ1000 Shaft (sold and missed already)
2003 ZRX 1200R (sold)
2003 Concours ZG1000 (just purchased)

More
11 Apr 2016 06:08 #720288 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Answer me this!
What's the condition of the petcock & screen? How bad is the tank rust?
What exact rebuild kit did yo get & where? I bet the problem isn't the K&L kit. it could be user error.

More
11 Apr 2016 07:34 #720309 by tri650
The condition of the petcock is good and the screen is in very good shape. Everything was disassembled and cleaned. The O-ring that came with the K&L kit was too big and the new diaphragm would not seat properly. This was very obvious. I double checked to make sure my bike was listed on the original purchase and it was on the list. I would usually blame user error but when I put the original pieces back in it worked fine. I will order stock OEM O-ring and diaphragm in the event the original fails.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
11 Apr 2016 08:00 #720314 by SWest