Fuel inlet 'T-pipes'...

More
09 Apr 2016 10:04 #720048 by Rockranch
Replied by Rockranch on topic Fuel inlet 'T-pipes'...
Well after a bit of disassembly and the T's coming out too easily and without any resistance I determined it's time for new ones. If these originals had removable o-rings instead of the apparently built-in ones, I wld already have it back together.

Attachment 2016-04-09001001.JPG not found

I opted to order the same style inlet T's instead of the ones with the separate o-rings. We'll see how they work out, as I don't have any personal 1st-hand experience with knowing which ones are best. The rubber vent pipe connectors just above both T's are getting replaced too while the carbs are apart as they can only be replaced when the carbs are separated. Everything happens for a reason and upon further inspection the main throttle shaft is due a cleaning as well even though it had good smooth action b4,{holy crap the throttle action should work just like greased lightning now!} lol, along with all other pivot points...so why not make it a complete job and do the choke circuit too? There are 2 other sets of o-rings that come with the carb rebuild kits (besides the one that's already mated up with the air screw/spring assembly). The one is for the drain screw and the other I assumed was for somewhere inside the 4 choke slides (plungers?) whatever it's official name is hehe. I guess I'll find out when it comes apart lol. The new T's should be here Tuesday so I shld have them back together and ready to remount to the motor soon after. ........................Mike

Vroom-vroom!!!

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1-all stock low mileage...
1 modified
1977 KZ1000 (awaiting resurrection!) :)
...and an old school Honda CB750 Chopper is next on my bucket list!

Oh...and a Pocket Rocket lol!!!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
10 Apr 2016 05:50 #720155 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Fuel inlet 'T-pipes'...
Just for the heck of it try soaking your old T's in gas until the new ones come.
I still have a new O.E.M. set that I bought 5 years ago and have saved 2- old sets so far.
JD

78 KZ1000 A2A

More
10 Apr 2016 07:20 #720164 by Rockranch
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

bluej58 wrote: Just for the heck of it try soaking your old T's in gas until the new ones come.
I still have a new O.E.M. set that I bought 5 years ago and have saved 2- old sets so far.
JD

I will do that in a small lidded jar when I remove the 2nd one. Certainly can't hurt parts like that to be dunked in gas for however long a person wishes because they always have gas in them anyway right? If they end up good, great...if they don't, then I haven't lost anything. Those T's supposedly fit many different carb sets (see link below) and having a spares on hand certainly isn't a bad thing, (especially since I have several sets of Mikunis) if in fact they end up rejuvenating themselves.

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1 modified

More
12 Apr 2016 20:16 #720653 by strum
Replied by strum on topic Fuel inlet 'T-pipes'...
I tried soaking mine in gas, brake fluid, trans fluid ..nothing . then i dropped it in some lacquer thinner..that worked!!
I ran it a while and it didnt leak but since i knew i was taking them apart again soon i ordered one of those alum ones form ebay.. its a much better product. a little pricey but good. mine only took one.

Blairsville Ga.

1980 KZ1000 Shaft (sold and missed already)
2003 ZRX 1200R (sold)
2003 Concours ZG1000 (just purchased)

More
13 Apr 2016 07:16 #720696 by Rockranch

strum wrote: I tried soaking mine in gas, brake fluid, trans fluid ..nothing . then i dropped it in some lacquer thinner..that worked!!
I ran it a while and it didnt leak but since i knew i was taking them apart again soon i ordered one of those alum ones form ebay.. its a much better product. a little pricey but good. mine only took one.

New ones coming today. I'll see how snug they fit. Next order of business is mount to bench-top head for leak testing and bowl level checks, then hopefully on the motor they go. Hopefully I won't need to try the other style. $40 is $40 and I'm saving for my engine build parts. .......................................Mike

Vroom-vroom!!!

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1 modified

More
13 Apr 2016 21:21 #720850 by Rockranch
New versus old... Quite a difference. Much snugger fit and still able to pivot like they should.

Attachment 2016-04-09002001.JPG not found

Attachment 2016-04-09002002.JPG not found

I'm really hoping there aren't supposed to be o-rings where the carb bodies meet the plate. There's a groove there around the outside of the bore but no o-rings were there when disassembled. If there are supposed to be, they weren't replaced if previously disassembled. Carb schematics don't show one that I can see.

Attachment 2016-04-09002003.JPG not found

Throttle rod cleaned and rubbed with a dab of gun oil.

Attachment 2016-04-09002004.JPG not found

Reassembly complete w/spring on pulley. Good smooth clean snappy action. And NO parts left over!!!
The new Tees are a good snug fit and still able to pivot. Mounted to benchtop head...fuel on and no leaks in either Tee. Late now...float level check in the A.M. Got a 2nd clear tube gauge so I can do both carbs of each side at the same time. Much quicker. .......................................Mike

Vroom-vroom!!!

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1 modified

Attachments:

More
14 Apr 2016 17:04 #720998 by Rockranch
All reassembled. (OMG NO leftover parts! LOL). No leaks or seepages in benchtop test. Float levels all in doable range. Carb settings all set to default. Ready to mount to the 1st test engine and hope for the best. Charging cam for vid. More tomorrow. ......................................Mike

Vroom-vroom!

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1 modified