Rebuilt Petcock, super tight

More
07 Apr 2016 17:53 #719796 by tri650
Replied by tri650 on topic Rebuilt Petcock, super tight
I am having the same issue. The o-ring is too big. It will barely turn. Now it won't turn off when on Res or On. I have taken it apart 3 times. It works as it should while sitting on the bench. When I hook everything up and run it it starts flowing while on Res or On. It has a rebuilt kit on it. Any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2016 18:57 #719808 by tri650
I think I figured it out. The diaphragm was not seated correctly - it was kind of off center so it looked like the seal was not complete. I followed the instructions on rebuilding to make sure the passage was properly aligned and that seemed to seat it better. Anyway, I re-assembled and checked it out. No leaking when on Res or On. I went back to the old O-ring as the new one is too big. No leaks and it turns easier so I will stick with it.

More
07 Apr 2016 18:59 #719811 by tri650
One more thing - If I understand this correctly the vacuum pulls the diaphragm away from the seal part so it flows fuel when on Res and On?

More
08 Apr 2016 21:38 #720002 by Little B
Replied by Little B on topic Rebuilt Petcock, super tight

tri650 wrote: One more thing - If I understand this correctly the vacuum pulls the diaphragm away from the seal part so it flows fuel when on Res and On?

yep

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD

More
11 Apr 2016 08:27 #720323 by akolleth
Replied by akolleth on topic Rebuilt Petcock, super tight
Update: Had a chance to install the OEM O ring this weekend. It was a better fit for sure, but was still tight. I was able to polish the drum area with my dremmel and got the fit near perfect.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long. And you have burned so very, very brightly Roy.