!981 Carb Line Questions

• iwish4a69camaro
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Mar 2016 07:34 - 21 Mar 2016 07:34 #716504 by iwish4a69camaro
!981 Carb Line Questions was created by iwish4a69camaro
Hey Guys-

I finally got my carbs clean and ready to reinstall for my first fire up. I was wondering if I could get some help on what all the ports on my carbs do. I know one is the main fuel line hookup. However, who can tell me what there four are? Are they overflows?

[IMG

Also I'm switching to a gravity petcock instead of a vaccum petcock, which lines on the carbs are vacuum for the petcock?

Thanks
Josh
Last edit: 21 Mar 2016 07:34 by iwish4a69camaro.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2016 08:15 - 21 Mar 2016 08:15 #716510 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic !981 Carb Line Questions
Sorry to sound critical but those carbs don't look very "clean" to me.

Rebuild tutorial here... zeus.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/gs/Mikuni_...Rebuild_Tutorial.pdf

-Did you remove the pilot jets and hold them up to the light to make sure the orifice is open?

-Remove the pilot screws and jets and shoot carb spray up through the orifice and verify the sauce comes out the small holes in the carb throat?

- Verify the choke pick up tube is clean and that the passage is open all the way to the choke plungers?

- Did you replace all the various O-rings?

Sorry if this sounds critical, just trying to help you avoid all too common problem of having to clean the carbs twice (or three times).

Regarding your question: the four brass tubes near the pilot screw are vacuum ports. You need to plug them with caps.
Last edit: 21 Mar 2016 08:15 by Nessism.

• iwish4a69camaro
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Mar 2016 08:45 #716519 by iwish4a69camaro
Replied by iwish4a69camaro on topic !981 Carb Line Questions

Nessism wrote: Sorry to sound critical but those carbs don't look very "clean" to me.

Rebuild tutorial here... zeus.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/gs/Mikuni_...Rebuild_Tutorial.pdf

-Did you remove the pilot jets and hold them up to the light to make sure the orifice is open?

-Remove the pilot screws and jets and shoot carb spray up through the orifice and verify the sauce comes out the small holes in the carb throat?

- Verify the choke pick up tube is clean and that the passage is open all the way to the choke plungers?

- Did you replace all the various O-rings?

Sorry if this sounds critical, just trying to help you avoid all too common problem of having to clean the carbs twice (or three times).

Regarding your question: the four brass tubes near the pilot screw are vacuum ports. You need to plug them with caps.

I should've specified, I snapped that photo directly after pulling the carbs off the bike, they aren't cleaned yet in that photo. So no offense taken, I would certainly not install them back into the bike in that condition.

To answer your concerns, yes, all pilots checked with drills, all passages and other jets confirmed open and clean, All new o-rings and gaskets, bodies brushed, cleaned and new screws installed.

• iwish4a69camaro
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Mar 2016 08:47 #716520 by iwish4a69camaro
Replied by iwish4a69camaro on topic !981 Carb Line Questions
As a side note, here's how gunked they were. They needed a very good cleaning.

[IMG

More
21 Mar 2016 09:35 #716529 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic !981 Carb Line Questions
Please scroll down in the carb section and find"GPZ550 carb work" ..... in that thread Patton put up a real nice pic where wired george explains the ports on these.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

More
22 Mar 2016 19:39 #716860 by tri650
Replied by tri650 on topic !981 Carb Line Questions
I used this for my 82 Gpz 750

Attachment Carblayout-web.jpg not found

Attachments: