Re-Jetting a KZ750 with Uni Pods

More
18 Mar 2016 14:20 #716067 by pensanian
Re-Jetting a KZ750 with Uni Pods was created by pensanian
Hey guys!
The boots and flanges on my carbs were cracked beyond anymore repair, and I wanted to give Pods a try. So I ripped out the airbox (no easy feat) and installed a set of PK-82 Uni Pod filters. My bike is a 79 KZ750 twin. I've got beautiful idle and revving, but as soon as you put it under a stress load, say going up a hill, beyond maybe 1/8 throttle it sputters and cuts out bad, in any gear.
Has anyone ever worked with a similar setup? I'm pretty certain I just need to rejet, but am clueless as to where to begin with what jets I should pick up. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciate :)

Paul

'Copper' the 1979 KZ750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2016 14:28 #716068 by punisher11b
Replied by punisher11b on topic Re-Jetting a KZ750 with Uni Pods
If it's weak under load you are most likely running lean, very common when switching over to pods.
You will need to increase your jet size. That's all I have, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will have more to offer. There might even be a post about exactly which one, I know there are thousands of posts on this sight about switching to pods.

- good luck

More
18 Mar 2016 22:56 - 18 Mar 2016 23:00 #716124 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Re-Jetting a KZ750 with Uni Pods
You'll probably need larger mains and pilot jets. The pilots are BS30-96 type. Stock pilots are 45, you can go directly to 50 even with stock setup and it will run better. Stock mains are 125. I have no idea how much up you need to go on those. The bike in your picture looks like it has straight pipes which screws up the jetting much more.

You may also need to change the needle height. If your '79 750 twin is the same as mine, it mas BS-38 Mikunis with adjustable needles that have five slots so you can go one slot lower to rich it up some.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 18 Mar 2016 23:00 by bountyhunter.

More
19 Mar 2016 07:15 #716146 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Re-Jetting a KZ750 with Uni Pods
CV carbs & pods. Good luck. :lol: Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
19 Mar 2016 13:07 - 19 Mar 2016 13:08 #716184 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Re-Jetting a KZ750 with Uni Pods

pensanian wrote: Hey guys!
The boots and flanges on my carbs were cracked beyond anymore repair, and I wanted to give Pods a try. So I ripped out the airbox (no easy feat) and installed a set of PK-82 Uni Pod filters. My bike is a 79 KZ750 twin. I've got beautiful idle and revving, but as soon as you put it under a stress load, say going up a hill, beyond maybe 1/8 throttle it sputters and cuts out bad, in any gear.

Did you get it to run OK with the pipes shown before changing the pods? Do you know what jets are in the bike now?

The BS-38 carbs are very easy to change jets because they are located in the float bowl. If you have a cut off screwdriver, you can remove the bowls on the engine in about two minutes to change jets.

You can also get the slides out without removing the carbs from the engine to adjust the clip setting position.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 19 Mar 2016 13:08 by bountyhunter.

More
23 Mar 2016 20:30 #717057 by Helpme
Replied by Helpme on topic Re-Jetting a KZ750 with Uni Pods
Bump. I have the same year bike with the same exact filters, but am running extremely rich. Jetted by previous owner for the stock airbox, which I had the same problem as you did removing it. I idle on both cylinders now, but both come on and off intermittently. Plugs go black after a few minutes.

More
23 Mar 2016 20:52 #717059 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Re-Jetting a KZ750 with Uni Pods

pensanian wrote: Hey guys!
Has anyone ever worked with a similar setup? I'm pretty certain I just need to rejet, but am clueless as to where to begin with what jets I should pick up. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciate :)

Paul

The ever popular pods question. If you have a fully functioning air box put it back in. Pods may look cool but there is not performance gain to be had.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project