high idle, intermittent

More
05 Mar 2016 15:37 - 05 Mar 2016 15:56 #713997 by Slavaka
high idle, intermittent was created by Slavaka
Hey guys, have a question regarding my idle on startup. Today is the first time this bike has started in 12 years so I expected some issues, but not sure where to go on this one. I'm assuming it will be a carb adjustment, but wanted to check in here first before I actually did anything. I have a 1982 kz750 spectre. When I started the bike up today it started fairly fast, but revved up like I was holding full throttle. I had the choke on all the way. I opened the choke up just a little bit and the idle went down, but if I open it too much it will die. My gauges do not seem to be working RPM wise so I cant give an exact number. It just sounded very high. After adjusting the choke to an acceptable range it would idle better, still high, but better and on occasion acted like I was revving full throttle off and on. I let it run for a good 3 or 4 minutes adjusting as it was running. Things I have done so far since I have gotten the bike. Wires and plugs(I also put a spoon of oil down each plug hole as recommended for a bike sitting for a very long time a few days prior to this according to my google searching), new battery, cleaned carbs, cleaned gas tank, oil change and new oil filter. I did put the bike into first and let it pull me forward about 5 feet or so with the clutch and the idle smoothed out a lot while doing this until I went back to neutral. Thank you in advance for any advice. Also, I did not have my pod filters on the carb when I did this, so I don't know if that could contribute to this.

Greg G.
82' KZ750 Spectre (Work in progress)
Last edit: 05 Mar 2016 15:56 by Slavaka. Reason: typo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
05 Mar 2016 16:17 - 05 Mar 2016 16:17 #714002 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic high idle, intermittent
Sounds like you need to go through the carbs. Should get new carb holders while you're doing it. Pics as you go will help.
Steve
Last edit: 05 Mar 2016 16:17 by SWest.

More
05 Mar 2016 17:18 #714008 by Slavaka
Replied by Slavaka on topic high idle, intermittent
Will do Steve, I will see if I can get some pics tomorrow. Going to have to cover it up for a week or so after due to the mass amount of rain headed my way.

Greg G.
82' KZ750 Spectre (Work in progress)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
05 Mar 2016 17:24 #714010 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic high idle, intermittent
I that case I've been known to clean my carbs on the front porch and my coffee table. Click the will it live in my signature. Ask any questions you need.
Steve

More
05 Mar 2016 18:26 #714021 by Nelson
Replied by Nelson on topic high idle, intermittent
u definitely need to take them all apart. plugged pilot jets for sure, and other gummy goo!

Restoring and customizing a KZ1000. Click here to read about it.
Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.