Carb jetting advise

More
03 Mar 2016 13:10 #713644 by strum
Replied by strum on topic Carb jetting advise
I found time to pull them today. first after i removed the tank i pulled all the plugs.
#1 looked good #2 looked good #3 on the lean side #4 very rich what the blank blank?
I had just pulled #4 the other day and miss assumed that they all were rich
So I pulled the carbs and put them on my bench stand.
Right away i found the culprit. When I went from a vacuum petcock to the manuel I had put a cap on the #3 carb vacuum inlet.
That cap was cracked causing a vacuum leak. I remember thinking i didnt like the looks of that cap but it was all i had at the time.
While I had em on the bench i clear tube tested the floats and they were good so off to the store for a cap and then I put them back on.
Now my air screws are set to about 1 1/4 turn out and its not stumbling (at least not in the shop) and very smooth.
Before It would stumble badly in the shop and by running those screws in I was getting by so to speak .
So Im thinking that since 3# and #4 carbs are connected that the vacuum leak was effecting both differently. Thus the different plug reading .. Ill have to run it a while to know .

Blairsville Ga.

1980 KZ1000 Shaft (sold and missed already)
2003 ZRX 1200R (sold)
2003 Concours ZG1000 (just purchased)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2016 15:30 - 04 Mar 2016 15:30 #713848 by strum
Replied by strum on topic Carb jetting advise
I took it out for a ride today and the stumble is gone . Its still pretty cold here so it was a little funky at first until it warmed up good then it was smooth at all ranges. By funky i mean i had to tickle the choke a little to get it out of the drive(uphill) then I was ok.
I have to say guys ..and I know yall know..lol
Even though I just got the ZRX. there is something very cool about riding these old KZs.
The sound the feel . The ZRX is awesome but the KZ is so enjoyable. Long live the KZs!!!

Blairsville Ga.

1980 KZ1000 Shaft (sold and missed already)
2003 ZRX 1200R (sold)
2003 Concours ZG1000 (just purchased)
Last edit: 04 Mar 2016 15:30 by strum.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.