Stupid question #1

More
05 Feb 2016 05:18 #709480 by kzharpe
Replied by kzharpe on topic Stupid question #1
im going to pull the plugs tonight and see what they look like. That should give me a better idea whether or not I am running rich or lean. I just dont know if I need to ride the bike before I pull them, or if I can get a pretty good idea by just pulling them. I am hoping I dont need to ride it haha its too cold for a ride. I believe the guy to a certain extent. Especially about the cams. She lopes harder than any 650 ive ever heard

1977 KZ650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
05 Feb 2016 05:22 #709484 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Stupid question #1
That's possible. If so, good for you. Checking the plugs at idle will only give you a ball park idea. Plug chops are the best way to do it. The 4/1 you're talking about will help if it will fit, then you can really dial it in. :woohoo:
Steve

More
05 Feb 2016 05:26 #709485 by kzharpe
I want to believe the guy since his dad did motorcycle work for years and years but in this day and age you never know. I think the exhaust should fit. Just have to fab a bracket and ill be good to go. The guy already did a lot of hacking on the bike so I am trying to decide what direction I want to go with it after I get her running great

1977 KZ650

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
05 Feb 2016 05:48 #709488 by SWest
Well when I hear "stroked, balanced and blue printed" I think Yeah Right. :lol: I'll bet it has a kit in it and maybe some HP cams, that gives you something to start with. If done well, you'll get my respect and I'll add it to my library. Keep us updated. B)
Steve

More
05 Feb 2016 06:26 - 05 Feb 2016 06:27 #709498 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Stupid question #1

swest wrote: Well when I hear "stroked, balanced and blue printed" I think Yeah Right. :lol: I'll bet it has a kit in it and maybe some HP cams, that gives you something to start with. If done well, you'll get my respect and I'll add it to my library. Keep us updated. B)
Steve

I'm with Steve on this one a bore kit and cam is very possible (and would be a great set up) but to stoke this it would be some major work and money ........ on the pipe you was looking at I see it is taken off for a few days ....... a new stainless 4 into 1 Delkevic pipe can be had for right around 300 but then your talking a hundred more but looks pretty sharp......

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.
Last edit: 05 Feb 2016 06:27 by KZB2 650.

More
05 Feb 2016 06:33 - 05 Feb 2016 06:39 #709500 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Stupid question #1
The problem I have with believing the PO, is anyone who spends the time and money to performance tune one of these engines is not going to ruin all that hard work and money with simply cutting the stock exhaust up, that leads to nightmarish tuning issues. The "tuner" would select a quality exhaust which is going to compliment the work done on the engine. Stroking one of these engines is costly, also the carbs on it are stock VM24's. I have a feeling the lumping at idle is due to poor tuning not a performance camshaft.
My KZ650 is highly modded with just about every performance improvement that can be done to one of these, 810cc kit, performance cams, porting, ect and many years of tuning to get it all perfect. I can tell you from experience there is no way it will beat a stock CBR600. It is very fast but nowhere near as fast as a modern 600cc bike.
You have a nice bike to start with I would ditch the exhaust for a quality one, give it a basic tune up, clean the carbs, adjust the valves clearances, change the oil and filter, then work from there.
Last edit: 05 Feb 2016 06:39 by baldy110.

More
05 Feb 2016 06:33 #709501 by kzharpe
Yeah I have been eye balling those delkevic pipes. Just don't have the extra cash right now. Right now especially if going to have to get it rejetted. Right now I just want it rideable for this season and then next winter I'm going for broke and gonna make it pretty haha

KZB2 650 wrote:

swest wrote: Well when I hear "stroked, balanced and blue printed" I think Yeah Right. :lol: I'll bet it has a kit in it and maybe some HP cams, that gives you something to start with. If done well, you'll get my respect and I'll add it to my library. Keep us updated. B)
Steve

I'm with Steve on this one a bore kit and cam is very possible (and would be a great set up) but to stoke this it would be some major work and money ........ on the pipe you was looking at I see it is taken off for a few days ....... a new stainless 4 into 1 Delkevic pipe can be had for right around 300 but then your talking a hundred more but looks pretty sharp......

1977 KZ650

More
05 Feb 2016 08:01 - 06 Feb 2016 05:02 #709510 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Stupid question #1

Re by baldy110: The problem I have with believing the PO, is anyone who spends the time and money to performance tune one of these engines is not going to ruin all that hard work and money with simply cutting the stock exhaust up. ....

Yes. It sounds like the guy is just throwing out buzzwords like bored & stroked & hot cams. I would ask him exactly what he installed --- If he can't precisely answer a simple question, then anything he says is probably dubious. He should know how many ccs & what camshafts were installed. stuff like that. easy & simple.

Don't believe anything a po says. people don't know, forget, or flat out lie.
Last edit: 06 Feb 2016 05:02 by martin_csr.

More
05 Feb 2016 08:06 #709512 by kzharpe
Well the funny thing is that he mentioned the cams before I even bought but the bored and stroked thing didn't get mentioned until yesterday....2 weeks after I bought it. Hmmmmm?

1977 KZ650

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
05 Feb 2016 08:16 #709516 by SWest
Bored I'll buy it, stroked, nah. Ask for the paperwork. :)
Steve

More
05 Feb 2016 17:45 #709647 by kzharpe
Ok guys, did a plug chop tonight. I cruised for about 10 minutes at roughly 55mph. Killed the bike and pulled the plugs. Would you know it, the plugs were ashy and white. Here I was thinking I was running rich. Good thing I have some guys to ask that know a thing or two. I am going to put the exhaust on and do a plug chop again and see what happens. If it doesnt help, into the shop she goes. I dont think I have the patience or the know-how to tune them myself

1977 KZ650

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
05 Feb 2016 18:21 #709649 by SWest
Lean, that's good. You're almost there. Put on the exhaust and see what happens. Looking for peanut butter brown.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: kzharpe