eliminating my air box

• huntersdad14
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Dec 2015 09:54 #704538 by huntersdad14
eliminating my air box was created by huntersdad14
I'm thinking about eliminating my air box and just putting cone filters on my carbs. Anything I need to know before doing this? Tried searching for a thread first but didn't find anything

Jeremy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2015 10:13 - 27 Dec 2015 10:15 #704540 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic eliminating my air box
Didn't find anything??? This question is very common.

Try searching again using google. In the search field type "site: www.kzrider.com rejetting pods" There are dozens of threads on this subject.

To answer your question you need to rejet your carbs when using pods. Guys that are skilled at rejetting can purchase jets separate and through trial and error find the best setup. Depending on what model bike and carbs you have this can be either involved or VERY involved and time consuming. Easiest thing to do is purchase a jet kit from the likes of Dynojet. They supply a new needle which is very important to getting the mixture correct. Guys doing their own rejetting sometimes shim the stock needle but you can't get the same mixture control as when using the Dynojet needles.

Also, the cheap Emgo pods that so many people use are pretty much junk. Real K&N's, or pods from the likes of APE or Mike's XS, are much higher quality and can be cleaned when they get dirty. Pods allow more dirt through to the engine than that of a stock filter in the airbox, so there is no free lunch there either.

Good luck
Last edit: 27 Dec 2015 10:15 by Nessism.

• huntersdad14
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Dec 2015 10:45 #704546 by huntersdad14
Replied by huntersdad14 on topic eliminating my air box
Oh wow. Didn't think I would have to rejet for that. It's a 1995 kz1000p that I just got and it has a pretty long list of problems

Jeremy

More
27 Dec 2015 10:49 #704547 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic eliminating my air box

huntersdad14 wrote: I'm thinking about eliminating my air box and just putting cone filters on my carbs. Anything I need to know before doing this?

Sell your golf clubs and bowling ball, you won't have time for any hobbies.....

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• huntersdad14
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Dec 2015 10:52 #704548 by huntersdad14
Lol. This kz is gonna be my hobby lol. Just hope I get to ride it more then wrench on it. Cancelled my order for the pod filters,don't want to mess with rejetting at the moment, will wait and do that when I upgrade the exhaust.

Jeremy

More
27 Dec 2015 11:13 - 27 Dec 2015 11:16 #704552 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic eliminating my air box
The 1995 KZ1000-Police bike came with CV carbs. Step 1 - stand next to your bike and nail your feet to the floor (that will be the easy part). You're going to be there a VERY long time trying to make the bike run anywhere near as well throughout the powerband with pods as is does with the airbox. Forget riding it more than wrenching if you remove the airbox because it ain't gonna happen. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 27 Dec 2015 11:16 by 650ed.

More
27 Dec 2015 11:56 #704555 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic eliminating my air box
Some real K&N filters (or some filters from APE) and a Dynojet kit will get it done with a minimum of fuss and muss. You will pay some pretty good money for this setup though.

More
27 Dec 2015 11:57 #704556 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic eliminating my air box
I typed - pods - into the search box and I got 52 hits from the last four weeks alone. The bike can be made to run pretty well with the pods, but it will likely make less power and have less seamless transitions from one circuit to the next, and can run very poorly in strong cross wind. If your goal is to ride more than wrench, the stock setup is by far the best choice, even with aftermarket exhaust.

My ZRX came with pods and not well sorted jetting. I spent the time and money to get them working well because the pods allowed me to have a large storage space tha I did not have with the air box in place. The trade off is worth it to me, but otherwise, I would not recommend removing the factory system.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• huntersdad14
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Dec 2015 12:37 #704569 by huntersdad14
Guess I used the wrong key words. I typed air box elimination. I'll just go ahead and leave the stock box. I've never had a inline 4 before always v twins so I'm on the learning curve lol

Jeremy

More
27 Dec 2015 16:57 #704581 by 750Kruzer
Replied by 750Kruzer on topic eliminating my air box
I would try to get it running as close to factory spec as possible though suggested routine maintenance covered in the shop manual before doing any mods. You might be surprised at how well it might perform.

I know its anecdotal but I had a MC mech tell me that the Kawasaki engineers put a lot of thought into items such as intake and exhaust among other things. and its not a bad idea to leave them in place because they serve a purpose in proper engine performance

1983 KZ750 LTD Twin K1

More
27 Dec 2015 17:25 #704582 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic eliminating my air box

750Kruzer wrote: I would try to get it running as close to factory spec as possible though suggested routine maintenance covered in the shop manual before doing any mods. You might be surprised at how well it might perform.

I know its anecdotal but I had a MC mech tell me that the Kawasaki engineers put a lot of thought into items such as intake and exhaust among other things. and its not a bad idea to leave them in place because they serve a purpose in proper engine performance

This is very true. Here's an article describing a discussion about airboxes with a Mikuni carb engineer. Ed

Attachment poddoc-4.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 750Kruzer

More
27 Dec 2015 18:06 #704588 by floivanus
Replied by floivanus on topic eliminating my air box
I don't really get the pods and 4 into 1 craze people get into, you spend $100 or so on GOOD pods and up to $900 or so on a kerker to gain what? 5 horsepower? On a race bike, sure go for it, to have that 'look' okay? Kz's already have that.

There's always trade-offs and as usual, Ed nails it

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew