305 running rough at low rpm

More
11 Jan 2016 08:39 #706298 by Rustyhama
Replied by Rustyhama on topic 305 running rough at low rpm
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration
Mine is worn where the springs hook onto the arms, and the springs look stretched. I might try to wind them so they tighten - maybe it will work???
Yes I have the bad wandering idle Steve. I had my mind on the pilot circuit but my carbs get a lot of attention, are very clean & nothing really changes, that's why I decided to look at the timing.

As I said earlier, I think the timing is supposed to stay the same (i.e. not advance) until higher RPM that means it should definitely be firm to the touch and not move until it's spinning fast. That's how it's supposed to work - centrifugal force - correct me if I'm wrong!

Hama

'82 KZ305-B1 Cafe Racer
'80 Z750E project
www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=59260.0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2016 08:47 #706300 by Rustyhama
Replied by Rustyhama on topic 305 running rough at low rpm

swest wrote: I got one for another bike and switched parts. No more wandering idle and crisper throttle.
Steve
kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/600671-ignition-timing#703561

Thanks for the link, seems to say I'm on the right track!

Hama

'82 KZ305-B1 Cafe Racer
'80 Z750E project

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
11 Jan 2016 11:22 #706322 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic 305 running rough at low rpm
The timing should advance gradually as the RPM raise.
Steve

More
12 Feb 2016 00:38 #710552 by Rustyhama
Replied by Rustyhama on topic Re:305 running rough at low rpm
My NOS timing advancer arrived today. I whacked it on then checked and adjusted the points gap. I don't have a timing light but I played around with the timing and finally adjusted it to an old mark where it ran best after a couple of test runs. It's a huge improvement. No surging at low rpm and she's fun to ride again! I'll get the timing set correctly and an oil and filter change and she should be sweet.
Mostly spending money on my KDX now, getting her ready for trail riding season. Multiple bike ownership sure is taxing on the wallet!

Hama

'82 KZ305-B1 Cafe Racer
'80 Z750E project

More
12 Feb 2016 03:44 #710565 by jdvorchak
Replied by jdvorchak on topic 305 running rough at low rpm
I haven't set a set of points in years. Back in the day I used the cellophane from a cigarette pack, because it's very thin, between the points. I'd then set the engine crank shaft at the timing mark. while gently tugging on the cellophane I'd adjust the point mounting plate to the point the cellophane would pull out. Same theory as using a test light not timing light. Then I'd spin the crank shaft backwards a bit and reset the cellophane and tug as rotating the crank, in the correct direction slowly until the cellophane would once again release and note the timing marks. Adjust as necessary.

Don't fix it until it's broken.
John

83 KZ550M1
83 KZ1100LTD

Also own:
2010 Harley Ultra Classic Limited, 2008 Harley low rider 71 CB350/sidecar