Oil/Gas Mixture on Side of Carb?

More
22 Oct 2015 06:13 #695467 by mgutjr
Oil/Gas Mixture on Side of Carb? was created by mgutjr
Hey y'all, I'm fairly new to the KZ 650 crew and love my bike. I've had it for a year, and unfortunately, it just started giving me trouble. The first carb, (on the side the bike leans) has a gummy oil/gas residue on it, and I sometimes get a strong odor of gas. My second pipe has been really cool this last week, and the engine has lost some power as a result. Sometime the bike will smoke blueish/white smoke from that pipe. The compression is 130, which is not great, but it's also not bad. I imagine these issues are related, but not sure how. I just had the carbs cleaned and synced. Any ideas? Thanks!

Attachment IMG_1876.jpg not found

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2015 06:46 #695471 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Oil/Gas Mixture on Side of Carb?
Do you have a Kawasaki factory service manual for your bike or at least a decent manual of some sort? How are you doing on all the regular scheduled maintenance such valve adjustments, points adjustment/replacement, spark plugs, etc? It's very difficult to diagnose running problems on a bike that doesn't have all the maintenance tasks up to date.

More
22 Oct 2015 07:27 #695479 by jackleberry
Replied by jackleberry on topic Oil/Gas Mixture on Side of Carb?
Does this bike have a crankcase breather hose that goes into the airbox?

You may have an overflowing float valve in one or more carbs that is letting gas get into the airbox and also the crankcase which is raising the oil fill level and causing some to get blasted out the breather and into the airbox, which is sucked up by the carb producing the oily mixture (that also happens to be leaking out--separate problem) that causes all the smoke.

It wouldn't hurt you to rebuild those carbs since you obviously have at least one leak at the float bowl.

If you have a vacuum operated petcock on the tank, you should rebuild that too.

It's best to get this right the first time because every time gas gets in the oil you'll have to change it, and that can get more expensive than a petcock rebuild kit the first time it happens.

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

More
22 Oct 2015 07:46 #695485 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Oil/Gas Mixture on Side of Carb?
Looks like you have UNI clamp and maybe pod air filters.
And in cold weather there is more dense air so it's going to run leaner.
So, adding that to pod air filters, a leaky carburetor bowl with unknow and possible typical maintenance problems..... Well there ya go.
A factory service manual is reall important.
Describe what you have rather then a close up of a dirty fuel bowl and let's see where to go.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

More
22 Oct 2015 11:58 #695512 by AIHrefugee
Replied by AIHrefugee on topic Oil/Gas Mixture on Side of Carb?
You said that the carbs were "cleaned and synced" ? If work was done at a shop I'd take it back because it really looks like somebody missed something. Also definitely get a manual. It is worth every penny.