fuel flow question

More
10 Oct 2015 12:30 - 10 Oct 2015 14:42 #694064 by kz n az
fuel flow question was created by kz n az
Been having trouble with the carburetor, I decide to take it to the local shop to someone
who could get me back on track. The guy I think did a good and the bike run better then every.
But I do not have the a vacuum line connected the petcock and never have. Will that make any diffence.
Now the bike run about 4 miles and run out of gas. I see no fuel in the clear filter then after a while
we go again for 4 miles. I alway put the lever on pri just a habit. Why is the fuel not flowing, the petcock is not restricted.

Thank you 650ed and martin csr
I was trying to be over cautious and purchase a better fuel filter. I guess bigger isnt always better,found it
Thanks agains guys.
Last edit: 10 Oct 2015 14:42 by kz n az.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2015 12:49 - 10 Oct 2015 12:59 #694067 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic fuel flow question
Are you in Arizona or Azerbaijan? What year & model is it? The fuel flow problem could be a clogged tank vent.
Since it has PRI, I'll assume the fuel valve is a vacuum petcock & it should normally have a vacuum line connected to it.

ON & RES --- fuel only flows when the engine is running --- engine vacuum actuates a spring loaded diaphragm, allowing the flow of fuel by gravity --- when the engine is stopped, the spring returns the diaphragm to the closed/off position.

PRI --- bypasses the diaphragm assy -->> fuel flows by gravity -->> engine stopped or engine running.
Use PRI to prime the carburetors. If left in PRI while the bike is parked, fuel may leak out the carb overflow tubing.

Use ON during normal riding. Switch to RES when the fuel gets low & the bike starts sputtering from lack of fuel.

RES = reserve --- uses up the remaining 1/2 gallon or so of fuel in the tank. You can go 10-20 miles on RES, so refuel asap.
Last edit: 10 Oct 2015 12:59 by martin_csr.

More
10 Oct 2015 12:57 #694068 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic fuel flow question
If you have a vacuum operated petcock you need a line connected from it to the vacuum port on the #2 carb. Otherwise, the petcock will not operate properly and you will keep running out of fuel unless you place the petcock in the PRI position. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
13 Oct 2015 05:39 #694398 by objec123
Replied by objec123 on topic fuel flow question
does it matter which port on the carb connects to the petcock? all vac ports should do the same right?

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
13 Oct 2015 06:28 #694405 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic fuel flow question
You can use any inlet for the vacuum, but make sure any unused vac takes offs are plugged.

No flow on prime after 4 miles is likely a blocked fuel tap strainer -inside the tank.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces