Effects of high octane fuel

More
03 Oct 2015 02:04 #693089 by I_Tig_in_piece
Replied by I_Tig_in_piece on topic Effects of high octane fuel
Man I wish I had 93 out in Cali. Hell if I can get away with burning some higher octane through the carbs, might have to pour a liter or two of some 110 :P I usually have a drum of C-16 and 110 on hand for dyno tuning. Anyone know how E85 would react? I know on some of the cars my shop does, we have to swap out a few rubber fuel lines for the ones that have the green writing on it. Wonder how the diaphragms would react?

ed

Cheap labor isn't skilled, skilled labor isn't cheap.
1980 KZ440a. I went green.
If you yourself are building an older bike and can see it through till you're riding it, that's proof you have patience.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
03 Oct 2015 03:31 #693097 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Effects of high octane fuel
I like the smell of Turbo Blue Racing Fuel in the Morning ;)

It Smells Like Victory :evil:

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• tachrev
  • User
  • Rubber Side Goes Down
More
03 Oct 2015 06:57 #693117 by tachrev
Replied by tachrev on topic Effects of high octane fuel

I_Tig_in_piece wrote: Man I wish I had 93 out in Cali. Hell if I can get away with burning some higher octane through the carbs, might have to pour a liter or two of some 110 :P I usually have a drum of C-16 and 110 on hand for dyno tuning. Anyone know how E85 would react? I know on some of the cars my shop does, we have to swap out a few rubber fuel lines for the ones that have the green writing on it. Wonder how the diaphragms would react?

ed

Definitely do not put e85 in it without rejetting.

Rubber compatibility is an issue too, and it doesn't keep well. Alcohol likes to absorb water, hence all the issues these days with letting bikes sit with e10 and ending up with carbs full of jelly.

E85 is ~85% alcohol. The octane is higher, but alcohol is a completely different fuel and you will need much larger jets. And get worse fuel mileage, if you are worried about that type of thing.

I think e85 is approximately 110 octane. But I could be off there. It is pretty detonation resistant.

1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 : Street/Strip
Build Thread

More
03 Oct 2015 07:14 #693119 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Effects of high octane fuel
I believe putting E85 in a KZ would be a very bad idea. Not only would it destroy rubber bits because they were not formulated to handle alcohol, it also would lower the engine's performance. This is because E85 has 33% less energy content than 100% gasoline and 30% less than the E10 gasohol blend that is sold by almost all retailers in the US.

My 2006 GMC Z71 truck has a "flex-fuel" engine than can use E85 without damage, but since E85 is nowhere to be found in MD I have never tried it. Other than just as an experiment, I wouldn't use it in my truck anyway because it has 30% less energy content per gallon than the fuel sold here but nation-wide is only 15% less expensive than gasoline. Consequently, each mile driven would cost more and the truck wouldn't have as much pep as it does with gasoline. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
03 Oct 2015 07:27 #693124 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Effects of high octane fuel
I finally found a station that sells 91 oct pure gas too (maybe 50 cents more a gal) that I've used a few times ....... son was going to school there for a while so it worked out but now that its a 45 mile trip I stopped....... knew a few guys (in the 80s) that were big into racing that talked me into advancing the timing 2 to 4 degree's and ran that for a while...... magazine article too suggested 2 degree's advance on the 650 ..... I'm back to stock now (and for a long time) as I saw very little if any performance gain...... always ran prem then..... thinking it was 94-95 back then?

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

More
03 Oct 2015 11:55 #693161 by ed spangler
Replied by ed spangler on topic Effects of high octane fuel

650ed wrote:

pete greek1 wrote: I'm just saying that in the 70s regular leaded gas was 90 octane, & premium gas was 98-100 octane, so I'm saying our older bikes were built to run on higher octane than 87
Pete

Even though many folks run 87 octane just fine, I tend to agree with you on this. I don't even think 87 octane was even available when my bike was made. Probably the lowest octane in my area back then was 91. I know for sure you could still get 95 and 100 octane in my area. When I bought my KZ650 (April, 1977) the dealer told me to use premium gas. 93 octane is considered premium now; back then it would have been mid-grade at best.

I've read that some folks mention that their manuals call for 87 octane. I would really be interested to know exactly which manuals for which year and model bikes state that. My Owner's Manual does not name a specific octane level. It simply says you should use unleaded gasoline. Ed

I agree with everyone on this topic, I just want to say this ......from a "Seat of the pants feeling"....when I put Racing gas 110 octane mixed half and half with 92 oct. Ethanol free gas ( believe it or not my local Farmers Co-Op sells both!) in my 75 Z1B 900...It DEFINITELY RUNS BETTER!! Theres no doubt! The actual reason?? I could care less. But it does run better.
Regards to all
Ed

Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's

More
03 Oct 2015 12:14 #693167 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Effects of high octane fuel
If you rebuild the motor for really high compression, convert the carbs to stainless steel, and replace all the rubber, you could probably get more performance using E85. That is what my street racer buddies do. Turbo'd E85 usually spanks the equivalent vehicle running gas. Less energy content just means you need to use more, or use it more efficiently, ie run higher compression. The real benefit is the high compression that E85 allows. Flex fuel cars are not usually built to take advantage of E85, so they really don't do any better performance with E85.

But it's a lot of work to make a 35 year old bike go faster. It would be way easier to just get a 30 year old bike instead. :)

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
07 Oct 2015 22:03 - 07 Oct 2015 22:08 #693740 by Z1Driver
Replied by Z1Driver on topic Effects of high octane fuel
Ed, My owner’s manual for my 75 Z1B stated to use regular fuel. As I member, the 74 Z1A I had when it was new also stated to use Regular fuel. But it also stated the fuel could be leaded or unleaded. As I member I liked Standard and Mobil regular gas but had to go up in octane with some of the other supposedly top tier gas stations...back in the day. One of these days real soon as I get ready for winter storage, I’m going to get some pure 92 octane gas and try it out to see if it runs better on that. Typically I’m using todays Conoco regular without problems .

It would be way easier to just get a 30 year old bike instead

So true.....my 09 Concours 14 runs better than any street legal ZED ever thought of. It will do triple digits in 2nd and I still have 4 gears to go. :whistle:
Tim

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14
Last edit: 07 Oct 2015 22:08 by Z1Driver.

More
07 Oct 2015 23:25 #693741 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Effects of high octane fuel

Z1Driver wrote: Ed, My owner’s manual for my 75 Z1B stated to use regular fuel.Tim

Wasn't regular gas about 92 - 94 octane back in 1974? I remember around 1970 that premium was in the 98 - 102 octne range.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
08 Oct 2015 05:09 #693764 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Effects of high octane fuel
Clean air act of 1970 killed the hopes of high performance and high oct after that..... 74-75 is when they really started to faze it out....... glad they were able to bring back the super cars in the last 10 years but now I'm too broke.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

More
08 Oct 2015 18:05 #693873 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Effects of high octane fuel
Unless youre running a lot more compression than stock Id say all youre doing is loading up your combustion chambers with carbon. ;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZB2 650

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
08 Oct 2015 18:45 - 08 Oct 2015 18:52 #693878 by Z1Driver
Replied by Z1Driver on topic Effects of high octane fuel

bountyhunter wrote:

Z1Driver wrote: Ed, My owner’s manual for my 75 Z1B stated to use regular fuel.Tim

Wasn't regular gas about 92 - 94 octane back in 1974? I remember around 1970 that premium was in the 98 - 102 octne range.

I think if I remember right which is getting harder to do BTW, I believe the formula for figuring the octane rating changed some place around there. I remember my Grand Father liked this off brand stuff which boasted having regular at 93 octane. It was great for use in his 53 Chev pickup but as I member wasn’t good enough for anything with a little compression. Other gas stations were not advertising that much octane for regular gas.

It is also my observation that vehicles made to run on Regular leaded gas 50 years ago do just fine on today’s regular fuels if the valve seats are replaced with hardened valve seats.

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14
Last edit: 08 Oct 2015 18:52 by Z1Driver.