Effects of high octane fuel

More
02 Oct 2015 03:04 #692927 by apbling
Effects of high octane fuel was created by apbling
Hi All,
Been fighting my 82 550 as of late - just having some issues getting the carbs dialed in perfectly. I had a thought this morning though...
I have an 09 Fat Bob that runs 91 octane...I had a fuel pump regulator act up, so I had to drain some of the fuel out to work on it. That fuel went into my gas can in the garage. I ended up forgetting it was 91 octane and put it in my 550.

Now, the good part is there is no ethanol...but I am not sure the effects high octane would have on the 'ol 550. I'm not worried it'll ruin anything per se, but what would be the effects of having this higher octane fuel in an old bike that I believe prefers 87 octane (per the manual)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2015 03:05 #692928 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Effects of high octane fuel
Your bike should love it. I always run 93 octane in my KZ650. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
02 Oct 2015 03:26 #692934 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Effects of high octane fuel
General rule of thumb is to use the lowest octane fuel that doesn't cause knocking. If that's 87 then run that. Using higher octane fuel won't hurt but it won't add any value either. Pretty much just a money waste.

More
02 Oct 2015 03:27 #692935 by apbling
Replied by apbling on topic Effects of high octane fuel
crap. :)
I was hoping you'd say that the higher octane would have a slower burn, causing the timing to be a little off and not run quite right :)

More
02 Oct 2015 04:41 #692960 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Effects of high octane fuel

apbling wrote: crap. :)
I was hoping you'd say that the higher octane would have a slower burn, causing the timing to be a little off and not run quite right :)

As I understand it, higher octane does burn slower. That's why it suppresses knock. It actually has less heat energy than regular fuel. Regardless, the fuel won't cause your timing to be off. However, with high octane fuel you can advance the timing a little compared to regular fuel without causing detonation.

More
02 Oct 2015 05:08 #692971 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Effects of high octane fuel

Nessism wrote:

As I understand it, higher octane does burn slower. That's why it suppresses knock. It actually has less heat energy than regular fuel. Regardless, the fuel won't cause your timing to be off. However, with high octane fuel you can advance the timing a little compared to regular fuel without causing detonation.

That's why I almost always mix 89 silver and 93 Gold for a mix that comes out to around 91......... was surprised after using high oct all my life reading that it had a little less energy over reg and if you don't need it your wasting money and getting a little less performance.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

More
02 Oct 2015 09:42 #693004 by pete greek1
Replied by pete greek1 on topic Effects of high octane fuel

KZB2 650 wrote:

Nessism wrote:

That's why I almost always mix 89 silver and 93 Gold for a mix that comes out to around 91......... was surprised after using high oct all my life reading that it had a little less energy over reg and if you don't need it your wasting money and getting a little less performance.

Then why do they use racing fuel 100 octane in race bikes & cars, if you get less performance , ? :huh:
Pete

1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!

More
02 Oct 2015 09:50 #693008 by apbling
Replied by apbling on topic Effects of high octane fuel
Pete - I think he meant that if your engine isn't set up to take advantage of the higher octane you'll get worse performance?

I think IF there was EVER a day my 'ol 550 would have seen the track, its long long long ago lol.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZB2 650

• tachrev
  • User
  • Rubber Side Goes Down
More
02 Oct 2015 10:10 #693009 by tachrev
Replied by tachrev on topic Effects of high octane fuel

pete greek1 wrote:

KZB2 650 wrote:

Nessism wrote:

Then why do they use racing fuel 100 octane in race bikes & cars, if you get less performance , ? :huh:
Pete

Because race bikes/cars have higher compression, boost, or nitrous.

The drag racers on the newest 'busa's and liter bikes and stock engines actually get better times when the retuned for 87 octane. "Premium" doesn't necessarily mean better. You run the fuel your engine needs.

1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 : Street/Strip
Build Thread
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZB2 650, RODZ

More
02 Oct 2015 10:25 #693010 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Effects of high octane fuel

pete greek1 wrote:

KZB2 650 wrote:

Nessism wrote:

Pete

First of I wanta say I'm not even close to a expert just stating from a "limited amount" of reading I have done on it (and talking to a old racer)..... and Apbling's right I was talikng more on a stock 9 - 9.5 to 1 engine with stock timing and small stock cams ....... I agree the 98 to 100 octane fuel is needed for a 12 or 13 to 1 motor advanced 2 to 4 degree's with cams..... In the old days you could get 101 octane Sunoco at the station for 35 to 40 cents a gal and I ran more than a few tanks of that through my Chevelle, GTO and 57 Chevy ......... the Chevelle really needed it cause it had 12.5 to 1s and a zl1 cam. :woohoo: ....... I also wanta say I've bought more than a few gals of racing 100 octane gal around where I live for my 650 too and it ran exc so I'm not cutting it down at all. ;)

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

More
02 Oct 2015 10:34 - 02 Oct 2015 10:36 #693011 by pete greek1
Replied by pete greek1 on topic Effects of high octane fuel

tachrev wrote:

pete greek1 wrote:

KZB2 650 wrote:

Nessism wrote:

Pete

Because race bikes/cars have higher compression, boost, or nitrous.

The drag racers on the newest 'busa's and liter bikes and stock engines actually get better times when the retuned for 87 octane. "Premium" doesn't necessarily mean better. You run the fuel your engine needs.

Your comparing a new busa which the motor was built to run on unleaded fuel to our old bikes which were built to run on leaded fuel, racing fuel is leaded & I remember back in the 80s we would put the Purple Martin race fuel in our stock bikes every once in a while if we were going to race some one on the streets of Chicago & it made a difference
Pete

1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!
Last edit: 02 Oct 2015 10:36 by pete greek1.

• tachrev
  • User
  • Rubber Side Goes Down
More
02 Oct 2015 10:45 #693014 by tachrev
Replied by tachrev on topic Effects of high octane fuel
Octane is octane. If you aren't detonating, higher octane won't make more power by itself no matter what the vintage or engine design.

Lead in fuel was an octane booster and a lubricant or sorts.

1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 : Street/Strip
Build Thread