TK22 Fuel service level clarification - 82 550 LTD

More
10 Sep 2015 16:36 - 10 Sep 2015 16:38 #689543 by apbling
Hi all,
I am a little confused and looking for clarification. I was checking fuel service level on my tk22 carbs (550 LTD) because I was having some rich symptoms when snapping the throttle open. What I found was they were set where I intended to set them - but I am not sure this was correct. The picture with the pink arrow is from Loudhvx's website and it says to set the level in respect to the lip (which confuses me some, the lip is a little jagged and such). The other picture is my "as found" fuel level - which you can see I set in respect to the bowl/body mating surface (I hold the hose not in the middle of the bowl, but by the bowl screws), not the lip. From my photo, would you say I am too high fuel level? (my markings are exactly 3mm inside to inside of the markings).

Thanks.

Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Sep 2015 16:38 by apbling.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2015 18:44 #689555 by missionkz
I would be setting your fuel level at slightly below or near to the lower purple line on your clear tube

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

More
11 Sep 2015 02:16 #689565 by apbling
I in fact did lower them all to about equal to the lower line. Just wanted to clarify before I go further. My new intake boots make installing the carbs quite a chore.

More
11 Sep 2015 02:42 #689567 by nickleo373
My 81 kz550 is set closer to the bottom purple line you drew. I found the carbs would leak out of the overflows if they were set any higher

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

More
11 Sep 2015 03:11 #689568 by martin_csr
FYI. Use the meniscus as the reference point. The fuel forms a U in the clear tube --- the fuel level should be set in relation to the bottom of the U.

More
11 Sep 2015 03:29 #689571 by apbling
Excellent. I should be in good shape then. Hopefully this high fuel level is what was causing my rich condition that would cause a momentary bog when I snapped the throttle from 1/4 to 3/4+.

At the setting I have picture here, I never had an overflow, but sometimes it would weep if I had it on the center stand and then put it on the side stand. I'm guessing it was at the ragged edge of overflowing.

More
29 Sep 2015 08:47 #692491 by apbling
OK guys, I did some more adjusting to my fuel level to get it more spot on. I had stock needles and seats. carbs 1,3,4 I got dialed in spot on to 3mm after a couple attempts, however carb #2 was first high, then low, then high, then in-between...after inspecting the needle, the little dowel thing fell out of the needle and seemed to not seat properly, so I switched it out for a spare needle I had.

After changing the needle and the next 3 adjustments to dial it in, I sometimes kept getting varying readings. I'd measure it 3 times by opening the drain, letting the tube fill, measure, close drain, drain the tube, then repeat. It seems like the first few readings I'd get would vary, but then settle out - is this because upon initial filling the bowl is completely empty and there might be some seepable as the float seats and such, and after its seated and settled in maybe things settle down?