No fuel from carb?

More
06 Sep 2015 00:51 #688819 by jfarhanbod
No fuel from carb? was created by jfarhanbod
It seems like no fuel is leaving the carb into the motor. The bowls have fuel in em, I pulled the jets and cleaned them, and reassembled and they still arent working. Bike will start when you spray carb cleaner directly into the carbs and crank it. Any idea on where I should start looking? The bike is an 84 gpz550 with the tk27 carbs.

More info on bike:
Dyna S ignition
Dyna 5 ohm Coils
Dynajet Jet kit
Uni Pod Filters
Upgraded Regulator/Rectifier

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2015 05:55 - 06 Sep 2015 05:59 #688824 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic No fuel from carb?
Did the engine run before the modifications were made? Has it run since you have owned it? If the answers are no, then everything is suspect. I'd recommend getting out your factory service manual (not aftermarket) and carefully performing ALL the routine maintenance items as listed. This way you will eliminate problems that you may not know about, and it will be easier to pinpoint the cause or causes of the known problem. If you do not yet own a fsm, pull up a post by member loudvx, and look for a link in his signature line.

If it did run before the modifications, it MAY be safe to focus on those parts and anything that might have been bumped during installation. Is the fuel level in the carbs correct? Are all the ignition wires hooked up properly? Kink in the fuel line? Clogged filter?

If it has run since the modifications, then fuel and ignition systems would be at the top of my suspect list.

If you are not 100% sure that ALL the maintenance items have been properly done, do them. The bike will operate better and you will be happier.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 06 Sep 2015 05:59 by TexasKZ.

More
06 Sep 2015 09:14 #688860 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic No fuel from carb?
Take the air cleaners off and crank the engine over with your hand sealing off the air cleaner side. You should feel a lot of vacuum and with the fuel enrichment valve open (choke) ....you should get plenty of wet fuel. If not , you really have a fuel delivery or dry carb.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

More
06 Sep 2015 09:27 #688865 by punisher11b
Replied by punisher11b on topic No fuel from carb?
Sounds like a vacume problem. Fuel in the bowl with an open jet says you are not getting enough air flow through the carb.

- good luck

More
21 Sep 2015 11:00 #691200 by jfarhanbod
Replied by jfarhanbod on topic No fuel from carb?
Got it going! Ended up being the float vents were capped off by the shop that I took it to (who charged me and ruined my bike). Now I can get it to run but as soon as the choke goes in, it dies. I have the carbs out 3.5 turns as per the dynojet instructions. Anywhere that I should start? The carbs are all clean, I'm thinking maybe the idle adjustment screw? It also seems to run better when the PCV Reed Valves on the valve cover are left open instead of blocked off too.

More
21 Sep 2015 11:29 #691205 by 1977-Z1-A1-LTD
Replied by 1977-Z1-A1-LTD on topic No fuel from carb?
The dynojet kit should have information on tuning; including troubleshooting so you may want to re-check their recommendations on performance issues. On the surface it sounds like the bike's not getting enough fuel at idle, so the idle circuit needs to be checked and you can try going richer on the mixture screws, turn them out 1/2 turn each. (e.g., pilot jet size, float levels, fuel line, air flow etc. all affect the idle circuit) Any popping through exhaust or carbs? Exhaust leaks? In most cases, if your mixture screw is out past 4 turns, the jets are too small (running too lean). Be sure they are all set the same.

1977 KZ1000 LTD
1990 FXR
1998 KTM 300 EXC
1974 CBR 350

More
21 Sep 2015 12:24 #691219 by jfarhanbod
Replied by jfarhanbod on topic No fuel from carb?
Ill try that out, I found the dynojet instructions so I'm going through the list. Theres a lot of popping on the exhaust after high throttle but I think that has to do more with the pcv valves being open right?

More
21 Sep 2015 12:55 #691225 by jackleberry
Replied by jackleberry on topic No fuel from carb?

jfarhanbod wrote: Ill try that out, I found the dynojet instructions so I'm going through the list. Theres a lot of popping on the exhaust after high throttle but I think that has to do more with the pcv valves being open right?

I believe you are mistaken about the nature of those valves. You can either cap them off (or join them), or keep the "clean air" system functioning and installed. When it's functioning, the flow of air into the reed valves is cut off under high-vacuum conditions to prevent backfiring. If you leave them uncapped, then it will indeed backfire like crazy.

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)