Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Custom Air Box for KZ440. 26 Sep 2018 16:08 #791471

• TexasKZ
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2050
Most folks who ditch the stock air filter box put a small filter on the crankcase vent. The only problem you may encounter is an oily film on that part of the engine. Another alternative is to run a long hose from the vent to the rear of the bike. Little if any oil mist will travel that far. At least one guy here routed the hose to drip on the drive chain.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

Custom Air Box for KZ440. 18 Nov 2018 12:43 #793906

• newkzrider18
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Does anyone know if the rubber boots were the inlet duct 1,4 part # 11015-063 or inlet duct 2,3 part # 11015-057? Also when installing these into the box, how well do they fit? It seems like they could move in and out, or is there a securing mechanism I didn't see?
At least from what I saw, you just cut a hole and fit the smaller end of the boot in and that's all (?)

Also, what is the tube at the top??
1980 KZ 440 LTD Model A

Last edit: by newkzrider18.

Custom Air Box for KZ440. 18 Nov 2018 13:44 #793908

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1895
newkzrider18 wrote:
Also, what is the tube at the top??

The tube is for the engine vent and is connectet to the valve cover.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: newkzrider18

Custom Air Box for KZ440. 22 Jan 2023 02:59 #879140

• RoyB
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi all,
fascinated by this mod for my KZ440 LTD & had a go yesterday, unfortunately I can't seem to get the box to go high enough as the frame stops it (only by about 1/4" or so), if the box is any smaller I wouldn't be able to fit the boots properly? (that's why there's a nice angle on the original box.....).
Have been looking at possible ways of being able to move the box back by maybe 1/2", like fitting a flange.......?

Anyone else have any ideas?
cheers
Roy

Custom Air Box for KZ440. 18 Feb 2023 09:47 #880384

• Sdaniels2010
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7

Hi all,
fascinated by this mod for my KZ440 LTD & had a go yesterday, unfortunately I can't seem to get the box to go high enough as the frame stops it (only by about 1/4" or so), if the box is any smaller I wouldn't be able to fit the boots properly? (that's why there's a nice angle on the original box.....).
Have been looking at possible ways of being able to move the box back by maybe 1/2", like fitting a flange.......?

Anyone else have any ideas?
cheers
Roy
Look at second page, third post down...are your airbox holes similar to what is in the pics, up near the top?  Also, the airbox boots have a slight angle...if you have them angled the wrong way I can definitely see it making the box shift upwards.
1981 KZ440 A2 LTD

Custom Air Box for KZ440. 08 Nov 2023 15:57 #891495

• malavigne
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I took inspiration from this thread and designed a 3d printed an airbox.  If anyone wants to make one, the file is here: cad.onshape.com/documents/90529535924d74...1e1da65dfb476e2aa3d9

i used a 2" fernco ($6 at the hardware store), cut in half as the boots.  You can either rough up the fernco (flexible PVC) and use superglue, or just use a second gear clamp- i tried both and they both work well.
$20 of plastic sure beats buying an airbox that's older than me of ebay for $100s...

this thread took my un-useable new (to me) bike and made it run perfectly (as best i can tell, its my first bike).  I did increase the pilot jets to #38's before replacing the pods with this intake, and have them still fattened up.  I put an O2 sensor on the bike, so i have an OK idea I'm running well thru the ranges despite my complete lack of experience with motorcycles or carbs in general.

Thanks for everyones input in this forum, you've collectively saved my tons of time and money.

-Michael.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: JR, TexasKZ, Wookie58

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.

Custom Air Box for KZ440. 08 Nov 2023 17:04 #891496

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
  • Thank you received: 366
That looks very clean nice work in my opinion but what do I know?
1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

This is my Z

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT