Carb setting with pods and 4x2 exhaust

More
22 Aug 2015 11:06 #686731 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Carb setting with pods and 4x2 exhaust
I've got a V+Hines header and Ape pods and with the stock cams and 650cc I always ran a 17.5 pilot, clip in the 4th slot and 112.5 mains...... Ran 117.5s and the clip in the 5th with a open air box (top off and the filter out for a couple years (and header too) then I switched to the 29 mm smoothbores from 83 to 2004 or so. Ran them open for quite a while and played with the jetting on them too.... Then Ape pods for them for a while.........At that time the carb holders went to hell and I switched back to the stock carbs.

Now with my set up I have it in the 5th slot on the nettles and 117.5 mains........ air screw one and 3/4.... air screw never seemed like it did much and left it at the reg setting (I think at 11/4 to 13/8s or so) till I got new carb holders and did the bore and small cam. Opening it up then really seemed to help the response off idle............ Have new manifolds for the 29s and am planning on going back to them again next spring now that the rebuild has proven its self to be all good.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.
The following user(s) said Thank You: skooterbum4real

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• skooterbum4real
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Aug 2015 20:01 #686784 by skooterbum4real
Replied by skooterbum4real on topic Carb setting with pods and 4x2 exhaust
Thanks for the info guys !!

After reading 650ed's engineer's statement about air box and exhaust changes, it makes me think about making something to set the pod filters back farther from the carbs.

Attachment carbs.jpg not found

Assuming I understand his statement, it would be beneficial to extend the pod filters as far back as reasonably possible from the carbs. Of course no farther back, than the back of the original air box. Has anyone ever done this ?? I'm sure the transition from the carbs, through what ever was used to extend the pods, and into the pods, would need to be as smooth as possible. I'm going to see if I'm able to come up with anything reasonable to accomplish this with. If I am, I'm sure it will require more carb jetting to get it to run as good as possible.

1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin
SPECIAL CONSTRUCTION V-TWIN CHOP
Attachments:

• skooterbum4real
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Aug 2015 20:37 - 22 Aug 2015 20:40 #686788 by skooterbum4real
Replied by skooterbum4real on topic Carb setting with pods and 4x2 exhaust
I missed the article you posted a link to 650ed. I can see why you feel as you do about those of us that like to alter there bikes exhaust and air cleaners.

I did catch this little tidbit at the end of that article,

Attachment carbintake.jpg not found

This gives me a bit more hope than you are willing to offer 650ed, for someone making the changes like I'm going to be making. I suppose if I had the CV carbs on my bike, I would be running into a brick wall, and be wasting my time and my money. I'm pretty sure all of my past bikes had the slide throttle carbs, as does my kz650, which I'm sure is in my favor.

Thanks for taking the time to try and educate us 650ed. I certainly appreciate it !!

1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin
SPECIAL CONSTRUCTION V-TWIN CHOP
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Aug 2015 20:40 by skooterbum4real. Reason: more info

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
23 Aug 2015 03:42 #686797 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Carb setting with pods and 4x2 exhaust
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration,.. it would be beneficial to extend the pod filters as far back as reasonably possible from the carbs

Lengthening the intake upstream of the venturi is what bell mouth velocity stack intake 'trumpets' do, generally pods are pretty close to the frame rails and there isn't much spare length available.

There are no good rules for jet jumping. I see posts like go one up on the main for pods, another up main for less restrictive pipe.

On some bikes that rule of the thumb is a good starting point, on others it is a mile off. My pipe n' pods CV carb 750r1 is 137.5 mains up from 110 ish standard, I would have started a couple of sizes up, but really didn't expect that much of a jump.

Another downside to the cheapo paper and gauze pods is the air filtration quality, holding them up to the light you can see the holes. At about 60 litres a second these motors gulp a lot of air, poor air filtration accelerates piston ring and valve guide wear.

These look quite nice:

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
23 Aug 2015 08:35 #686827 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Carb setting with pods and 4x2 exhaust
I like the idea of extending the pods into the frame. There they won't be effected by the air moving past them and the vortex created by it.As it was explained to me, the frame becomes pressurized at speed, thus allowing more air to be available.
Steve

More
23 Aug 2015 11:28 #686837 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Carb setting with pods and 4x2 exhaust

swest wrote: I like the idea of extending the pods into the frame. There they won't be effected by the air moving past them and the vortex created by it.As it was explained to me, the frame becomes pressurized at speed, thus allowing more air to be available.
Steve

Steve you're a fabricator of sorts, why don't you build a retail kit for something like that using extension tubes, smaller pods and shove them up their near the battery box?

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
23 Aug 2015 13:07 #686842 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic Carb setting with pods and 4x2 exhaust
The lengthening or shortening of the intake is referred to as pulse tuning. This is much like the tuning with the primary pipes in the exhaust system.

I would suggest that you keep in mind that in general :
shorter intake - more top end
longer intake - more low end

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
23 Aug 2015 13:38 #686849 by SWest
I was thinking something like the oval pods with a short extension. But you wouldn't see them. That's what they want isn't it? To see them? :whistle:
I for one will stick with my air box and cool blue silicon boots. :lol:
Steve

Attachments:

More
23 Aug 2015 14:29 #686869 by missionkz
I'm less interested in seeing them ... as I am in the engine running correctly!

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
23 Aug 2015 16:26 #686891 by SWest
That's the selling point even though they can be hard even impossible to tune correctly. Our VM carbs are easy compared to CV carbs.
Steve

More
23 Aug 2015 19:10 #686912 by missionkz
Since the rebuild with the Wiseco 10.25 Pistons, I'm seriously considering putting my old KZ air cleaner assembly back on. I can tell the pods are going to give me trouble and the fresh top end is really amplifying it.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
23 Aug 2015 21:16 #686931 by SWest
If you want to keep the pods, you can try the next size up on the nozzles and needles. Sometimes changing the slide cutaway will help you find that "sweet spot."
Steve
Check out Mikuni USA. Lots of info there.