Adjusting fast idle on TK22 carbs

• The_Proletariat
  • User
  • "Cocaine is a hell of a drug"
More
22 Aug 2015 08:23 - 22 Aug 2015 08:34 #686712 by The_Proletariat
Replied by The_Proletariat on topic Adjusting fast idle on TK22 carbs
You may need to experiment with the fast idle screw. Lou's fast idle mod allows you do to this without removing the tank. I still carry an 8mm wrench with me for fast idle adjustments but I have not had to adjust this screw in 2 years now.

I have sealed choke flaps (alum plate + jb weld), and after I smoke one cigarette the bike is warm enough to ride after a cold start. I made this decision 3 years ago because learning how to use a completely manual choke seemed like less trouble then all the trial and error of reproducing missing choke plates, and possibly losing them again.

As I crank the starter, I slowly rotate the choke lever slightly open from fully closed. The engine will fire. I let it idle here for a minute, without further opening the choke, then I open the choke lever more. The engine will want to rev up initially but I keep opening the choke, I would say about half way open. At this point I have the fast idle screw set for an idle of 1500 rpm with the choke halfway open, and I can ride the bike within a few minutes.

The only choke adjustment I have to do while riding is to fully open up the choke, and I can do this after a mile or so.

Also, enriching the idle mix screws to one turn from seated did wonders for cold starting and quicker warm ups, and I have not fouled any plugs.

1982 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD
Last edit: 22 Aug 2015 08:34 by The_Proletariat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
22 Aug 2015 13:42 - 22 Aug 2015 13:43 #686742 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Adjusting fast idle on TK22 carbs
I couldn't live with that. I just enrichen the idle circuit and be done with it.
Steve
Last edit: 22 Aug 2015 13:43 by SWest.

• The_Proletariat
  • User
  • "Cocaine is a hell of a drug"
More
22 Aug 2015 18:21 - 22 Aug 2015 18:22 #686779 by The_Proletariat
Replied by The_Proletariat on topic Adjusting fast idle on TK22 carbs

swest wrote: I couldn't live with that. I just enrichen the idle circuit and be done with it.
Steve

Well I have decided when I can afford to buy a newer bike it will have fuel injection.

In regards to the OP, I would also make sure you do not have a fuel supply restriction. Even if your float levels are in spec with the engine off, a clogged tank strainer will cause low float levels with the engine running and will increase the time it takes to warm up. If you have a fuel supply problem, a 550 will run very rough and cut out randomly until the engine is 100% at operating temperature.

1982 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD
Last edit: 22 Aug 2015 18:22 by The_Proletariat.