Any quality carb kits?

More
15 Aug 2015 10:19 #685854 by aphex
Any quality carb kits? was created by aphex
Been looking around the internet for some carb kits for vm28s (pumpers) off a 1980 kz1000 ltd. Will be running them on a 1015 engine with pods and 4-into-2 exhaust.

I'm trying to find a source for quality aftermarket kits that are complete...needles and accelerator pump bits included, not just jets/gaskets/o-rings/needle valve sets.

Any such thing out there anywhere? All I see are cheap-looking kits from China or questionable kits from Japan.

1980 KZ1000 G1 Classic
1982 Yamaha XZ550, decommissioned

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2015 10:59 - 15 Aug 2015 11:01 #685858 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Any quality carb kits?
Z1Enterprises.com kinda specializes in the Big Kaws, although they do carry stuff for many models.
Z1 lists mikuni parts for the VM29 & VM33 carbs, but I do not know if they have VM28 mikuni stuff.

Carb kits typically cover a range of models, so it's usually more efficient & often times cheaper to get the parts separately.
I could be wrong, but I don't think any carb kits will include the accelerator pump parts --- Z1Ent carries a K&L ap kit.

Note: K&L parts are made in Japan & oem quality imho. I've used a wide range of K&L parts which appear the same as oem & have performed well.
Last edit: 15 Aug 2015 11:01 by martin_csr.

More
15 Aug 2015 16:22 - 15 Aug 2015 16:26 #685883 by aphex
Replied by aphex on topic Any quality carb kits?
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationAwesome. Thanks for the reply!

I've been through z1 Ent., they don't quite have what I'm looking for but I will definitely keep them in mind for individual parts in the future.

Also, it appears you're right about kits not carrying the accel pump parts...and boy are those parts pricey! :blink: My experience with accel pumps has been that even slight wear of the diaphragms can cause nasty performance. I'd like to replace those asap. May go straight to K&L for that.

Here's the most comprehensive kit I have found. It has almost everything I'm looking for but the price looks too good to be true. Opinions?

1980 KZ1000 G1 Classic
1982 Yamaha XZ550, decommissioned
Last edit: 15 Aug 2015 16:26 by aphex.

More
15 Aug 2015 19:02 - 15 Aug 2015 19:06 #685900 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Any quality carb kits?
Z1Enterprises.com is usually helpful if you can't find something or if you're unsure of what to get. Be sure to mention the 1015 pistons & stuff like that.

That eebbaayy seller is somewhat deceptive imho --- he presents many parts as if they are oem, but most if not all of his stuff is aftermarket (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, depending upon the brand). I would ask if the kits are genuine Mikuni parts. Depending upon his answer, then I'd ask if they are K&L. And I would make sure the photos are of the actual kits. If he says K&L, you could compare his items to the K&L catalogue.

K&S & Keyster are a couple of other brands, but I don't know much about them. I kinda recall seeing a post somewhere in which the Keyster jet needles have the wrong taper, but it was an old topic, so who knows if that still applies. ???

The Sudco catalogue has a bunch of jet & needle info.
Last edit: 15 Aug 2015 19:06 by martin_csr.