Idle problem and stuck jet needles

More
22 Jul 2015 18:09 #682220 by krayneeum
Idle problem and stuck jet needles was created by krayneeum
Hey all,

1) The idle screw is all the way out-- yet it still idles?!

I have brand new carb boots and had sprayed carb cleaner around them and the idle doesn't change.

Is it my shorter throttle cable keeping it idling??

2) There is sticking in the carbs when I pull the throttle. I believe it's the jet needles.

When I had the carbs disassembled I was tightening the main jet nut all the way, and when I would do that for 3 and 4, the slides would just be stuck. I couldn't move the throttle by hand-- totally stuck. So I loosened them a bit so they at least the jet needles would move.

3) Hanging idle. Might be related to the above problems.

---
I have pods and have increased the pilot jets to 17.5. Stock VM24 carbs. I've cleaned these carbs at least twice now. All jets look clean every time.

Any ideas??

- Stephen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2015 08:45 - 23 Jul 2015 09:54 #682323 by krayneeum
Replied by krayneeum on topic Idle problem and stuck jet needles
Just want to clarify, when I tighten the bleed pipe the jet needles get stuck. Is there a way around this problem? I'm thinking I could try to raise the needle (lower the clip) and see if that helps. I've read of someone adding an extra o-ring to the bleed pipe to act as a shim or something?

The idle issue still escapes me though...

EDIT: Found this answer by user Patton from 5 years ago! MIght be my idle issue... I think I left my idle screw just barely screwed in, instead of midway. Leaving me no room for further adjustment. I hope at least! Easy fix if so...

The reported idle problem might be caused by having failed to correctly perform required bench sync with idle thumb screw at mid-way position during reassembly. This leaves adjusting room needed to further lower the slides when performing final sync and fine tuning pilot air screw settings.

Where this failure occurs, subsequent attempts to sync and/or set idle are frustrated because the thumb screw runs out of adjustment before the slides can be lowered enough for proper sync and low steady idle.

Last edit: 23 Jul 2015 09:54 by krayneeum.

More
26 Jul 2015 23:15 #682920 by krayneeum
Replied by krayneeum on topic Idle problem and stuck jet needles
Well, I might as well give an update in case anyone experiences the same problem.

1) Patton was correct about the idle issue. I bench synced the carbs and this time left a a couple mm gap between the throttle pulley and the stopper. I can fully adjust my idle now, and it will die if I unscrew it idle screw all the way.

2) The jet needle stickiness was fixed by lowering the clip (raising the needle) one more step. The previous owner must have already moved it because it was in the 4th position (I believe stock is 3rd/middle?) The clip is now in the 5th position, the lowest possible, and no longer seems to be sticking to the bleeder tube. Luckily the bike seems to like the extra fuel given from this (I have pods).

3) No more hanging idle-- probably related to the above conditions.

---

I also gave it a fine synchronization with my motion pro sync tool and the bike runs like it's never run before. This coupled with a proper ignition timing, and the bike really is showing me some new power I haven't seen before. :)