Does not run like before

More
22 Jul 2015 14:00 #682189 by kz n az
Does not run like before was created by kz n az
Hello
I have 80 750 with a new problem. It was not running like before so i check the coils and one was bad and the other was really old. So replace them both. while riding normal it seems ok but when i hit the trottle hard it falls short and sputter and i have to get back home. Before I take the carbs off (which I hate to doing do) you guys have any other ideas.
motor and carbs were rebuild about 3800 miles ago
checked for spark on new coils
to the plugs also
light brn on sparks plugs
fuel flows to filter
this site is a great source of information so I know someone here has the solution THANK YOU in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2015 15:28 #683349 by 1980ltd
Replied by 1980ltd on topic Does not run like before
Hello You might want to check out the voltage going to the ignition coils before you remove the carbs.
If the voltage is low try the ignition coil by pass using a relay.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
29 Jul 2015 17:38 #683363 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Does not run like before
Might have leaned out. Did you raise the needles? If better, you might want to go one size larger on the main jets.
Steve

More
29 Jul 2015 19:06 #683369 by kz n az
Replied by kz n az on topic Does not run like before
Thank You for the reply Swest
The part I dont understand is the bike ran great before. So I did remove the carbs and found nothing out of place put everything in carb clearner for a while. Forced air through everything. Put all back together and same thing but I did notice the filter was not filling up very fast. Checked the petcock by itself flows good and usually keep it on PRI. Im sure its something simple but Im still looking THANKS AGAIN

More
29 Jul 2015 19:09 - 29 Jul 2015 19:11 #683370 by kz n az
Ok 1980ltd will try that THANK YOU
Last edit: 29 Jul 2015 19:11 by kz n az.

More
29 Jul 2015 21:48 - 29 Jul 2015 21:51 #683395 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Does not run like before
Perhaps fuel starvation due to imperfect fuel tank venting.
Could test ride with the fuel cap ajar - not snapped down -- to determine whether fuel tank venting is an issue.

Could also remove the petcock and assure that the screens on the pickup tubes are not clogged and are allowing ample fuel to pass through them. While the petcock is in hand, could disassemble, inspect and clean it.

If crud inside the fuel tank is clogging the petcock pickup screens, could fast flush the removed tank a couple of times with clean gasoline. Shake the fresh gasoline around in the tank, and then fast dump it out the filler cap hole. Repeat as needed to assure all sediment, crud and whatever have been rinsed out of the tank,

Also assure that the aftermarket inline fuel filter is not clogged and is passing ample fuel flow.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 29 Jul 2015 21:51 by Patton.

More
29 Jul 2015 22:09 #683400 by kz n az
THANK YOU
PATTON
Will give that a try and see what happens.
THXs