KZ1100 carb issues (I think)

More
28 Jul 2015 17:21 - 28 Jul 2015 17:22 #683189 by DGA
Replied by DGA on topic KZ1100 carb issues (I think)
Main jets could be mismarked yes, but I still think the midrange is where it's lean right now, the bike is not stable enough yet (dry rotted rear tire, suspect fork oil) to wind it up real hard to actually get main jet readings.

I typically use the fuel that matches the compression ratio, this motor at 8.9:1 only really needs 89 octane, so I am using that and jetting it to that, and won't change after it's jetted. If it had 10:1 or more it would have to have 91 or better. Besides, here in the midwest, there is practically NO non ethanol fuel left in gas stations I will have to use.

"83 KZ1100 Spectre, '81 Yamaha XV750 Cafe, '74 Kawasaki H2B 750
Last edit: 28 Jul 2015 17:22 by DGA.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2015 06:13 - 30 Jul 2015 06:14 #683417 by SmokyOwl
Replied by SmokyOwl on topic KZ1100 carb issues (I think)

DGA wrote: Main jets could be mismarked yes, but I still think the midrange is where it's lean right now, the bike is not stable enough yet (dry rotted rear tire, suspect fork oil) to wind it up real hard to actually get main jet readings.

I typically use the fuel that matches the compression ratio, this motor at 8.9:1 only really needs 89 octane, so I am using that and jetting it to that, and won't change after it's jetted. If it had 10:1 or more it would have to have 91 or better. Besides, here in the midwest, there is practically NO non ethanol fuel left in gas stations I will have to use.

Around here the premium gas is usually non-ethanol in Wisconsin. Didn't know that, I thought it was fairly common as you'd think there'd be some demand all over for non-ethanol gas. The octane yeah I agree, shouldn't matter with the lower compression ratio, I was more pointing at the non-ethanol factor. Every chainsaw I've used had to have non-ethanol gas, heck we have two vehicles two lawnmowers and a chainsaw, and only one vehicle out of everything gets 87 octane w/10% ethanol.

1982 Kawasaki KZ1100 A2, Shaft

Never trade the thrill of living for the safety of existance.
Last edit: 30 Jul 2015 06:14 by SmokyOwl.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.