fuel leaks, keihin cv34s, rebuilt, new leak, help!

• Randombeat
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...
More
12 Jul 2015 20:26 #680621 by Randombeat
So as most of you gents know, I'm in the process of rebuilding several aspects of my kz.

Recent project has been carbs, keihin cv34s.

Got them torn down, cleaner every part and every orifice (without separating the 4 carbs), installed new diaphrms, pilot o rings, bowl gaskets, ect ect.

I then proceeded to setup the off bike aparati to set float levels...

Upon doing so, I used a makeshift portable gas tank, aka a 2 liter with a fuel hose silicones into the top, new fuel line (approx 4 feet) and new filter....

Soon as I flip the 2 liter over and fuel begins to flow, the carbs start pouring gas, from what appears to be the black inlet on the rail, and the connection between the 1st and 2nd carb.... Connection between 3 & 4 doesn't leak.

At first I thought it was the floats or the new gaskets not yet sealed...but on further investigation, I've realized its not the bowls themselves, and the carbs sent leaking from the overflow tubes.... I was even able to clear tube the gas that was left in the bowls, and its within spec....

So, my questions...:::

1). Can the 2 liter not being vented, creating pressure, have anything to do with the rail leaking?

2) can the length of line affect it?

3) sounds like its either the inlet, or the o-rings at the inlet and between 1&2.... Right?

4) would setting it up on the bike, with the 6inch line and vented actual bike tank, make any difference???

I thought I had thought of and replaced everything, the primary job I'm doing is the starter clutch, but now I've ended up doing everything but...

Help me! :)

(Yes I have FSM, just FYI)

1980 KZ750H LTD-- pods-- vance & hines 4-1 --speedo/tach/blinker/switch deletes -- brat style

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2015 20:38 #680624 by TexasKZ
1. No, but it needs to be vented for fuel to flow properly.

2. No.

3. Yes.

4. No.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
12 Jul 2015 20:43 #680626 by JR
Sure sounds like #3 ....although it can be really difficult to pinpoint a fuel leak

3) sounds like its either the inlet, or the o-rings at the inlet and between 1&2.... Right?

Did you have carbs off the bike for some time ?
I've had this happen to o rings on either side of the fuel T after I had carbs off one winter. I think they shrunk but when I left them alone for a day or so they must have swelled back up because the leak stopped. Perhaps just leave the carbs with gas in them and check tomorrow.

Those big float bowl O rings can also be a bugger to seat properly if they have expanded

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
The following user(s) said Thank You: Randombeat

• Randombeat
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...
More
12 Jul 2015 20:44 #680627 by Randombeat

TexasKZ wrote: 1. No, but it needs to be vented for fuel to flow properly.

2. No.

3. Yes.

4. No.

Lol. Short n sweet...

Any advice?

How hard is replacing the rail o rings/inlet? I think they make metal replacements? All the springs and linkage intimidate the hell out of me to be honest....

1980 KZ750H LTD-- pods-- vance & hines 4-1 --speedo/tach/blinker/switch deletes -- brat style

• Randombeat
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...
More
12 Jul 2015 20:47 #680628 by Randombeat
The carbs have been off, taken apart, for a couple months waiting on parts....

I'll try your advice, although I don't really know how to keep gas in the rail as it seems to all leak out... The bowls actually seem to seal well, although since the fue! Is running down the rail, I can only tell that bowls 3&4 are sealed for sure, however the file level in 1&2 was accurate on clear tube....