bogs down

• XioJammeRoiX
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Jul 2015 01:42 #679348 by XioJammeRoiX
bogs down was created by XioJammeRoiX
My 78 kz 750 twin will idle normally but when going down the road it will randomly bog down like it's not getting gas I've cleaned the carbs put new plugs and changed the air filters. I'm stumped

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2015 14:40 #679424 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic bogs down
Make sure the air vent on the gas cap is clear. Make sure your gas filters are clean and passing enough gas.

when going down the road it will randomly bog down like it's not getting gas

When mine did that it was because there was rust and sediment in the tank and a piece would work it's way down and block a main jet and then finally pass through.

Is your tank clean and free of rust?

Do you have good inline filters?

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• XioJammeRoiX
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Jul 2015 20:52 #679456 by XioJammeRoiX
Replied by XioJammeRoiX on topic bogs down
Yea new fuel filters and lines

More
05 Jul 2015 05:54 - 05 Jul 2015 06:00 #679482 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic bogs down
If not already done, would remove the petcock and assure that the filter screens extending up into the tank are clear and clean.

Would also remove the fuel tank and do a fast flush by dumping out existing fuel through the open cap.
Partially refill the tank with fresh gasoline (or just use a large bottle of common household rubbing alcohol), shake the tank to suspend loose particulate, and re-dump contents through the open cap.

Internal flushing of the fuel tank should help prevent re-clogging of the petcock filters which may be interrupting fuel flow and causing symptoms of fuel starvation.

Removal of heavy rust accumulation inside the fuel tank may call for more aggressive cleaning. There are several good methods available.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 05 Jul 2015 06:00 by Patton.

More
05 Jul 2015 06:53 #679493 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic bogs down
Could also be caused by a slightly kinked fuel line or a fuel filter designed for a pressurized fuel system.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough