• Jbosh
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
More
02 Jul 2015 16:03 - 02 Jul 2015 16:05 #679148 by Jbosh
Ram Air CV Twin? was created by Jbosh

Attachment image-24.jpg not found

So, I believe I have seen this on newer bikes like the Triumph Speed Triple as well as the Yamaha MT 01. What are your thoughts on a ram air setup on an 82 KZ440 LTD? You'd only have 2 intakes to worry about...
This image is found on www.streetfightersinc.com/YamahaMT01.htm

Attachment image-25.jpg not found

1) Do these have air pressure bypasses?
I am assuming it isn't healthy for a bike carb to have air forced into the intake after a certain psi.
2) How would this affect your throttle response in the end, low end torque, and high end output?
3) How would you design a dual intake that would not also take in the road moisture and such elements right into your engine?

I apologize if this has been discussed already. If so, please direct me to the link. From what I searched, I did not find the answer I was looking for. My impression is that ran air would improve the pep of my little engine plus add a very unique esthetic element to my project.

4) I will assume that the jetting would definitely need significant adjusting to compensate for the increase in airflow?
5) Would it work to 'pipe' the air to your pod filters already on your carb?

Many thanks for engaging with my curiosity :evil:

As long as I get to learn something, I'm happy!
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Jul 2015 16:05 by Jbosh.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jbosh
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
More
02 Jul 2015 21:46 - 02 Jul 2015 21:47 #679188 by Jbosh
Replied by Jbosh on topic Ram Air CV Twin?
I just came across this via a broader Google search. Some serious engineering conversation going on!
www.fireblades.org/forums/general-discus...ncrease-ram-air.html
In essence from what I am seeing, it's not actually a bad idea. One thing I am picking up is that this is more of a cold air intake than a proper ram air intake.

Last edit: 02 Jul 2015 21:47 by Jbosh.

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
03 Jul 2015 04:21 #679198 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Ram Air CV Twin?
I think it really needs designing - in from the factory and is not really a retro fit, more conventional head, bore and cam tuning work will yield much better results.

With DFI I guess it would be easy enough to fit an inline four engine back to front, with the intakes on the front. Getting sufficient length from exhaust collector to exit might be a problem. I guess if there was significant benefits it would have been tried before, at least on the track.

... If you are looking for old techniology that hasn't really been utilised yet in bikes:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_injection_(engine)

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

• Jbosh
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
More
05 Jul 2015 22:17 #679594 by Jbosh
Replied by Jbosh on topic Ram Air CV Twin?
So... Bending two pipes to wrap around from the carb inlets just under the fuel tank with the filters fit inside is not a good idea?

More
06 Jul 2015 05:27 - 06 Jul 2015 05:33 #679610 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Ram Air CV Twin?
I think it would be a really interesting project, especially if each step was carefully tested and documented. Based on what I have read, and on conversations with knowledgeable folk, I doubt if there would be any measurable performance gain at any speed a 440 is capable of. What such a system might do, if carefully designed and developed, is replicate the advantages of a factory air box, while looking much cooler.
Modern hyper bikes , like the ZX14, have ram air systems that pick up air at the nose of the bike where pressure is high and turbulence is low. Still, there is no performance gain until about Warp 5 or so.....

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 06 Jul 2015 05:33 by TexasKZ.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jbosh