Jeting?

More
15 Jun 2015 05:59 #676634 by lhemrick
Jeting? was created by lhemrick
81 KZ550 with TK carbs. Because I have changed exhaust and went to pods I'm running a little lean in the mid range. 110 mains with the neddle clips in the last slot (all the way up). My question is can I tune one carb by making jet and needle changes and after I get it right change the other three or must they all be done at one time?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
15 Jun 2015 07:13 #676644 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Jeting?
How do you know it is lean? my old 81 550 D1 was running on 105 with pods and a straight through 4-1.

Tuning one carb at a time nice idea but I don't think you'll notice the difference between jet changes as the other 3 will mask any differences for better or worse.

Maybe check it isn't an ignition misfire which often seem like mixture problems.
New HT leads, non resistor caps and new / cleaned coil terminals often makes the difference. Had this on my 550 recently - and a pinholed carb diapragm.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

More
15 Jun 2015 11:39 #676672 by lhemrick
Replied by lhemrick on topic Jeting?
If you run a bike to the speed or range you wish to check you can pull the clutch in while shutting it off. Let it coast to a stop and pull a spark plug to see what condition it is in. It needs to be a slight brown to tan color on the tip and right now they are leaving a slightly white residue. Pulling all the bowls off all while still on the bike is a pain and was just wondering with the above in mind could you just do one to get it closer then change the other three.

More
15 Jun 2015 11:51 #676676 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Jeting?
loudhvx has a bunch of TK22 info on his motorcycle stuff page. see links in his signature.
Not sure if there's jetting info for individual filters n stuff, though.