KZ305 / Keihin CV32 Carbs, float levels & Jetting

More
10 May 2015 01:06 - 10 May 2015 01:31 #671333 by Rustyhama
I have a smokey exhaust so I'm going all the way back up the system to sort out the carbs first.
My carbs leak, I have some holes in one diaphragm and my jetting seems all wrong.
So float levels, clear tube test. I have done this not so long ago, they looked fine but after a day or two the leaking continued. Not a lot but enough to my my garage stink of gas. So I've done it again today. After 4 or 5 times removing the float bowls & adjusting the tang I got both to 3.5mm. I wanted them at the lower level because the seals on the bowls look to old and compressed to be doing any sealing so I decided lower is best, 1.5 to 3.5 is the service level. The right one is giving me a few problems & does to appear to be making a good seal after some time the fuel forces it's way through then flows out the over flow. Maybe my bad petcock it not helping here - rebuild kit on it's way. I've inspected the float valves several times & although the look fine, the rubber is very hard and maybe not sealing as it should. That's my hypothesis, I have new ones coming so I'm hoping they will sort that out.

I've dome a temporary repair on my vacum slide diaphragm with Gorilla Glue it hold pretty well but I wouldn't trust it long term. The slide is moving down slowly but not a slow as the one I replaced last year so a new one is on it's way.

I had the carbs in the kitchen last night so I took a really close look at the jetting. When I got the work done on my bike last year I wasn't confident to go into the carbs. My local Mech. said he would take care of the jetting. I've seen a few jetting guides that advise on starting points for jetting. I have K&N pod filters but the stock exhausts. The guides will suggest 1 to 2 sizes up on the main jet. My carbs have a primary and a secondary main jet. This is never mentioned in the guides so I'll assume when they refer to main jet they mean primary main jet. So, my stock set up is #62 Primary & #85 Secondary. My mechanic left the primary & changed only the secondaries, one carb has a #95 the other a #96 - the jets don't even look the same! So I'm thinking he's got this totally wrong!

So once I get the float levels sorted & not leaking I'll be looking into the jetting...

Attachment IMAG0786.jpg not found

Attachment IMAG0785.jpg not found

Attachment IMAG0787.jpg not found

After I left the bike for half an hour after setting the float levels as above...

Attachment PodInitalJetting1.jpg not found

Hama

'82 KZ305-B1 Cafe Racer
'80 Z750E project
www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=59260.0
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 May 2015 01:31 by Rustyhama.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2015 13:34 #672270 by Rustyhama
It seems that 33 year old rubber seals aren't handling the daily riding like the used to. All my parts arrived during the week. First I did the petcock, now it functions perfectly. Next I replaced the float valves. Straight away the fuel levels changed so I knew the old ones were the problem. Interestingly the problem might not have been the rubber viton but the springy nipple at the other end. The new K&L replacements had slightly longer springy nipples, the effect was the the floats sprang back much more strongly when pushes in, maybe the old ones were worn. So after 4 or 5 attempts I got the fuel level to about - 3mm and reinstalled the carbs. Then went for the old 11pm road test. The bike ran sweet! (it has been rough as all week and leaking so much faster I had to put a G-clamp on the fuel line). So thanks to everyone who sent me down this path.
Next I need to get hold of some fine circlip pliers so I can get the needle into my new vacuum piston. Then I'll do an oil change. 2 questions on that.
1, could a thicker oil help my smoking problem? 10w-40 is standard I'm thinking 10w-30?
2, if my oil has been contaminated with fuel, will the filter be ok to re use if I drain it thoroughly first? It's pretty new.
Thanks
Hama

Hama

'82 KZ305-B1 Cafe Racer
'80 Z750E project

More
15 May 2015 13:36 #672271 by Rustyhama
Also, any comments on my jetting issues as mentioned above?

Hama

'82 KZ305-B1 Cafe Racer
'80 Z750E project

More
15 May 2015 13:46 #672272 by undiablo
10w30 is thinner when hot than a 10w40.

Kawasaki KZ 750/4 LTD 1981
Kawasaki KLR 650 2011
Argentina - Buenos Aires

More
15 May 2015 14:29 #672279 by Rustyhama
Ooops, my bad. How about 15w50? Good or bad idea?

Hama

'82 KZ305-B1 Cafe Racer
'80 Z750E project