76 KZ400 jetting and maintenence

More
01 May 2015 23:13 #670359 by LynxOGrady
76 KZ400 jetting and maintenence was created by LynxOGrady
Hey everyone, been a long time since ive been here... been working on Yamaha's and such and now we're back to KZ's!!

SO!! We have a 76 kz400 which is getting a sorely needed overhaul and engine teardown. It has it all, pissing oil everywhere, terrible idle, lurching and jerking at low speeds and reduced performance, all of which made for a shaky bike, but she will pull through like the rest

Right now... despite what many people will highly advise against, we're replacing the stock box with pods with a stainless straight pipe to follow and Im trying to find what jetting works out best. I've seen someone use 92-95 mains and a sync test with pretty good results, but if somebody would like to throw in their two cents, then Im all ears.

1979 Kawasaki KZ650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2015 15:23 #670413 by LynxOGrady
Replied by LynxOGrady on topic 76 KZ400 jetting and maintenence
So after doing some research, i found that Mikuni VM28's from an RD350 appear to be a direct replacement for the Keihins.

kz400.createforumhosting.com/swapping-st...des-vm28-t11551.html

The guy made the post originally with four questions and so, I kind of need to get answers to those two if we go down that route.

1. Are there any issues using the stock carb boots with the Mikunis?
2. Jetting recommendations(i.e Main jet, pilot jet, slide cutaway, needle jet and jet needle) or am I on my own here?
3. Speaking of the needle jet, should I go with a primary or bleed type needle jet?
4. Is the emulsion tube that big of an issue.

1979 Kawasaki KZ650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.