• Page:

TOPIC:

Starting Point for Carb settings - kz1000 25 Apr 2015 19:41 #669565

• freebyrd24
  • freebyrd24's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi everyone,
I am finally almost done with my project bike after many years and issues. I am looking for a good starting point on my carb settings because my setup is not stock.

This is for my 1981 kz1000k1.
-1075 wiseco piston kit that is supposed to give me a 10.25:1 compression ratio
-stock air box, though I would like to put a k&n filter in (or any other suggested good filter)
-stock 4-2 exhaust for now, maybe slip-ons in the future
-1983 gpz1100 cams

This is all with my stock BS34 carbs

I am wondering about a base setting on jets, needles, needle heights, air mixture screws...

I am also wondering if I should change the fuel level in bowl, spark plug range, etc...

Any suggestions welcome
Thanks!
- 1981 KZ1000-K1 LTD - Long term project
1075cc Kit - New Wiseco Pistons

Sold:
- 1978 kz650 SR, 4-1 Vance and Hines Full Exhaust, Dyna-S Ignition, Accel Coils and Wires

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by freebyrd24.

Starting Point for Carb settings - kz1000 26 Apr 2015 05:44 #669591

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286
Im watching this to see where this goes. I also have to rejet after a bigbore rebuild and Im not sure where to start.
The guy who did the engineering work said I should up the jet sizes by 0.5 (or maybe that was 0.05) and maybe fit a washer to raise the needle,if needed. Ill have to get in touch with him again when it comes closer to the time for my carb rebuild.
Unlike yours,mine has the O.E. cams. Does the cam make any difference to the carb jetting? Surley the amount of air/fuel going into the engine would depend on the size of the chamber and the valves?? I suppose the duration of the valve openings would be a factor. Short answer is,I have no idea where to start!!
Keep us posted on how you go and good luck with it.

P.S. There used to be a guy on here caleed Weird George (I think).He was a bit of a carb guru from what I remember.Maybe have a look through the archives.
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

Starting Point for Carb settings - kz1000 26 Apr 2015 07:15 #669599

• jakedude
  • User
  • Thank you received: 30

freebyrd24 wrote: 1981 kz1000k1.
BS34 carbs
I am wondering about a base setting on jets, needles, needle heights, air mixture screws...
Thanks!

Finding out about stock parts is simple. Look up the microfiche on partzilla. Here is the microfiche for the KZ1000-K1.

www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Kawasaki/...TOR+PARTS/parts.html
Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.

Starting Point for Carb settings - kz1000 26 Apr 2015 09:54 #669621

• davido
  • User
?
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

Starting Point for Carb settings - kz1000 26 Apr 2015 11:13 #669638

• jakedude
  • User

davido wrote: ?

I'm guessing that your question mark is related to my post. I'm not quite sure what your confusion is, but freebyrd was asking "about a base setting on jets, needles, needle heights, air mixture screws." The link I gave gives all the base parts for the carbs including jet sizes.

JET-MAIN,A122.5 : That would be 1.225 mm
92063-1101

JET-PILOT,A37.5: That would be 0.0375 mm
92064-1036

Needle and needle height: Well the diagram shows two parts, 16009 and 16009A, but the parts list only shows one part.

NEEDLE-JET US
16009-1085

This part does not appear to have any needle height setting from the diagram. When he tears his carbs down my guess is this is the needle he will have. The diagram shows 16009A which looks like it has more than one needle height position so perhaps he can find the part number for that part if he wants to mess with the needle height. If he sticks with part number 16009-1085 , after picking his jet sizes, the only adjustment he has is the pilot air screw.

SCREW-PILOT AIR
16014-1014

Most people start this adjustment by turning the pilot air screw all the way in (very gently snug) and then back it out 2.5 turns on all 4 carbs as a starting point. From there most will adjust the pilot air screws for maximum RPM at idle. Most, I think, will adjust each of these screws individually for maximum RPM at idle. I have never had much luck with that since the RPM is not that sensitive to the number of turns on the screws. At least I have never found them to be. I assume the carbs are matched well enough to adjust them all to the same number of turns in or out. The way I actually adjust mine from the starting 2.5 turns is based on RPM response to a quick snap of the throttle. After kicking the RPM up to say 3000 then dropping the throttle, the RPM should quickly return to idle and not drop much below idle as the RPM drops. If the RPM drops below idle and almost dies before returning to steady idle, then screw them out. If the RPM drops too slow, screw them in. I always adjust them in 0.5 turn increments, because I don't think finer adjustments make much of a difference. When I'm all done, I gently screw each of the screws back in to gently snug counting the half turns. They should all be the same. If not I take and average and do it again because I must have lost count of the turns in the initial adjustment. If they are all the same, turn them back out to the number counted and you are done.

Last edit: by jakedude.

Starting Point for Carb settings - kz1000 26 Apr 2015 11:54 #669642

• davido
  • User
Sorry Jakedude,I am confused. From what I understand,with big bores ,even if everything else is standard,you need to change your jets. Needle height and air srews are adjustable but jets need to be changed.Standard jets wont cut the mustard.
What I understood from freebyrds question,is where to start with that? Now maybe Im wrong but I would think that,yes,you start with knowing what your standard jets are but,then where do you go? Im going to be dealing with this on my own build soon so,I am very interested in how to go about it.
In your post you talk about 'finding out about stock parts' What stock parts would you need? In my carbs I have all the stock parts but as I had a rebore,dont I need different,non stock parts?(bigger jets)
Theres my confusion. So,please,how to know what jets to put in after a 1075 rebore? Or in freebyrds case a 1075 rebore and a GPZ1100 cam swap?
Freebyrd, correct me if Im wrong,Im not trying to hijack your thread.
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

Starting Point for Carb settings - kz1000 26 Apr 2015 12:37 #669646

• jakedude
  • User

davido wrote: Sorry Jakedude,I am confused. From what I understand,with big bores ,even if everything else is standard,you need to change your jets. Needle height and air srews are adjustable but jets need to be changed.Standard jets wont cut the mustard.
What I understood from freebyrds question,is where to start with that? Now maybe Im wrong but I would think that,yes,you start with knowing what your standard jets are but,then where do you go? Im going to be dealing with this on my own build soon so,I am very interested in how to go about it.
In your post you talk about 'finding out about stock parts' What stock parts would you need? In my carbs I have all the stock parts but as I had a rebore,dont I need different,non stock parts?(bigger jets)
Theres my confusion. So,please,how to know what jets to put in after a 1075 rebore? Or in freebyrds case a 1075 rebore and a GPZ1100 cam swap?

Okay, the base bike capacity is, if I recall correctly, 998ccm on a KZ1000 So you have increased the capacity by ~80ccm, or 20ccm per piston. That's not a lot so I wouldn't expect much of a difference in jet size. The bigger pistons mean that for each intake stroke the piston will draw in more air and therefore will need to draw in more fuel as well. So you need to make the jets bigger. I would start with a rough guess of [100* (1075/998)-100] or ~8% bigger. BTW, anything that makes the bike breath easier also means the bike draws in more air with each stroke. So if you change the stock muffler for something that provides less back pressure the bike will also breath in more air. If you remove the standard air box and replace it with pods the same goes.

When I switched out my airbox for pods I increased both my main and pilot jets by 15%.

In the end, the only way to know for sure is by looking at the plugs.

As an aside, the only reason I switched from the airbox to pods was because I got tired of struggling with the boots from the carburetors to the air box. I was having trouble with flooding so I was screwing the the float needles (eventually went to viton tipped) and the float adjustment. So I had to keep taking the carburetors on and off the bike. After switching to pods and making a bracket to support the cabs, removing the carbs was a snap. Yeah, I had to increase the jets sizes, but after deciphering the confusing K&N instructions I figured they said for my bike to increase by 15%. The plugs look good so I'm happy. Many on this forum say the bike runs better with the air box and I see no reason to doubt them, but my performance seems great even in the rain and wind.

Perhaps one more thing on jets. Previous owners may have changed your jets. The jet size is marked on the jet. So from my previous post you should be able to figure out if they have been changed. Now some people drill out their jets if they want them bigger. I good mechanic will also file off the jet size marking on the jet when they do that, but most don't bother.

Last edit: by jakedude.

Starting Point for Carb settings - kz1000 26 Apr 2015 15:46 #669660

• freebyrd24
  • User

davido wrote: Sorry Jakedude,I am confused. From what I understand,with big bores ,even if everything else is standard,you need to change your jets. Needle height and air srews are adjustable but jets need to be changed.Standard jets wont cut the mustard.

I'm completely with you on this one Davido. I see what Jakedude is talking about, but does 8% more displacement = 8% bigger jets? I'm just hoping to get as many opinions as possible on this. With the cams I would expect more air and I'm not sure how to compensate. Maybe someone might have a similar setup that can get me in the ballpark? I definitely know that I won't get a perfect solution right off the bat that will work for my individual needs, and I have no problem with having to check plugs and fine tune it once I get going. I am just hoping to get close and work from there.

For instance, does a cam upgrade equal 2 main jet sizes , 1 pilot, and a needle change? Does a displacement change = a certain amount of steps?

Just for reference, I picked the bike up as a non runner, and did the engine work to it and have not had a successful carb setup on it, so I have no baseline. I know I could start with stock jets and tinker and tune, but I'm just hoping to get a head start. Thanks!

Sold:
- 1978 kz650 SR, 4-1 Vance and Hines Full Exhaust, Dyna-S Ignition, Accel Coils and Wires

Starting Point for Carb settings - kz1000 26 Apr 2015 16:43 #669669

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
If the bike was jetted correctly prior to the work and all you did was go to a bigger bore with higher compression pistons I seriously doubt you will need to make any jetting changes, even with the GPZ cams .

Starting Point for Carb settings - kz1000 26 Apr 2015 16:52 #669670

• freebyrd24
  • User
If I never had this particular bike running before I did the work, should I then just start at the stock settings?

Sold:

Starting Point for Carb settings - kz1000 26 Apr 2015 18:31 #669690

• davido
  • User
Whoo,now hold on a minute Baldy 110. A 1075cc will run (properly) with standard 1000 cc (998) jetting?
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

Starting Point for Carb settings - kz1000 05 May 2015 05:15 #670736

• freebyrd24
  • User
So for stock airbox and stock exhaust, I will try out out the stock settings and go from there.
Now what if I changed the exhaust? I have a couple of options. I could put slip-on's with removable baffles on the 4-2 setup. And I also have and could use a Vance and Hines 4-1 with a removable baffle. I never plan to run these wide open, I just want a little louder than stock. What would you recommend for jetting, needle position, and air/fuel mixture for those two options? I am going to stay with stock airbox for now, so obviously taking the carbs on and off to change jets is a pain.

Sold:

• Page: