Re-Jetting Carbs

More
07 Apr 2015 14:32 #666986 by JohnDavid
Re-Jetting Carbs was created by JohnDavid
I am currently in the process of modifying a 84 Kawasaki KZ550 ltd into a cafe racer. I have decided to drop the airbox and go with carb pods. Looking on some input on re-jetting the carbs. I have heard some say to increase main jet by 10 and drop slow jet. I have others say that anything 550cc or under doesn't need to be re-jetted with pods. Just looking for some input and a place to start if I open up the carbs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2015 15:29 #666993 by jakedude
Replied by jakedude on topic Re-Jetting Carbs
I have an '88 kz1000p. When I put pods on it I increased both the main and slow speed jets by 15%. Why? Well the K&N filter pods came with a rather confusing set of instructions that at after much study seemed to be telling me to do that. The instructions were confusing because on one sheet they try to tell you how to re-jet all carburetors for which K&N makes pods. So the same set of instructions for all pods they make for all carburetors. So as I read the instructions over and over, I started to line out everything that did not apply to my carburetors and was left with increase the main and slow speed jets by 15%.

Anyway after riding it for a season the acceleration was always linear from idle to high rpm and the spark plugs look good so I'm happy.

As the instructions do tell, make a bracket to hold up the intake side of the carburetors. The air box currently provides that support. You need to come up with something to replace that or you will quickly wear out the rubber boots between the carburetors and the engine.

PS. About those instructions again. I recall the terminology they used was a bit mixed up as well. I recall them talking about the main, idle, pilot, and slow speed jet. That seemed like one to many jets to me. So I had to decide if the idle jet was the same as the pilot or the slow speed jet. I don't recall which way I went, but from the context it made sense to me at the time. They did not mention the choke or enrichener jet at all.

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.