Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Cutting my petcock tube 06 Jul 2006 13:07 #59686

• patmann
  • patmann's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
I have a 1977 1000 LTD tank on my 1974 900 Z1. It's part of the whole body set that is cu$tom painted for my bike. Well you can't use the reserve unless you lift the tank up and turn it to reserve. As the petcock lever hits the carbs. Even then it's a MAJOR pain as the petcock hits the carbs and you would have to pull the tank back at least two inches to make it work at all.

So I was wondering what about cutting the main gas tube down some, maybe just a inch off it.. so I could ride farther without the worry of running out of gas at the factory level.
Any pro's or cons on this???

I have the factory tank, but like( looks wise )the smaller size of the LTD tank.
And NO a LTD petcock won't fix it either.:S
Just thinking outloud.
Pat
1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cutting my petcock tube 06 Jul 2006 13:45 #59697

• lifeliberty
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I don't see why it would hurt anything, you know what you are doing and how everything works.

your other option is fitting a different petcock. ie Pingel or Drag specialties. in my experience they are smaller than the stock petcocks, flow better, and fail less. they also offer different styles that might fit well with what you want to do, while still retaining a useable reserve.

Cutting my petcock tube 06 Jul 2006 13:58 #59703

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
Is it possible that you could just cut the lever shorter??
Ride safe,
Les
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

Cutting my petcock tube 06 Jul 2006 19:01 #59775

• wireman
  • Visitor
thankgod!:S i thought i accidentally clicked on that Jewish/circumcision site again!:P

Cutting my petcock tube 07 Jul 2006 06:24 #59877

• patmann
  • patmann's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
wireman wrote:

thankgod!:S i thought i accidentally clicked on that Jewish/circumcision site again!:P

:laugh: :woohoo: :laugh: :woohoo: :lol:
I alway s feel so strange talking about my petcock in public:whistle:
1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

Cutting my petcock tube 07 Jul 2006 06:38 #59880

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
patmann wrote:

wireman wrote:

:laugh: :woohoo: :laugh: :woohoo: :lol:
I alway s feel so strange talking about my petcock in public:whistle:

Definitely need a forum for *Scarey Thread Headers* like: "Diaphram Problem" "Playing With My PEPcock", "Black Powder In My Motor" and "Cutting My Petcock Tubes"... :dry: :S :huh: :woohoo:

Cutting my petcock tube 07 Jul 2006 07:46 #59900

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Pat, I understand your issue... I have this on one of my carb test bikes (not sure what kind of tank it is but it ain't a 900/1000 tank). Anyway, if you want to save the paint, take the tank to a good welder and cut off the bung and weld it shut. Go farther back on tank and install a Pingel adapter plate. I think you can do this by using a "universal" plate with no mount holes. You could JB Weld the plate to the tank after making a hole. You would want to watch for where you did this because the pickup tubes from a new petcock will have to fit in the area where the hole was made but it could be done. Just cut/weld the hole where the old bung is located and put an adapter plate rearwards over a new hole in the tank. You could then use a 3/8" NPT thread Custom Chrome petcock or get a Pingel from z1enterprises.com... it isn't as hard as it sounds. The hardest thing once the bung is cut/welded would be making the hole and enlarging it enough to get the new petcock into it.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Cutting my petcock tube 07 Jul 2006 09:37 #59942

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
The LTD gas tank on the 900 motor is a very close fit where the petcock sits.
On your 1000 motor it must be even worse.
WGs solution will let you keep the reserve function. Pretty handy if you want to stretch your mileage between fills.
Can you reverse the toggle on the petcock so that if faces aft when on reserve? Or maybe rotat the petcock 90° so you can swing the toggle?

Here's how close the toggle is on mine:

Post edited by: ltdrider, at: 2006/07/07 12:38
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC
Attachments:

• Page: