Helpful info for people rebuilding their carbs

• daren1093251
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Jan 2015 13:31 #657594 by daren1093251
Hey guys, I recently made a threat asking where to buy some not overly overpriced carb repair kits for the kz550, well, I finally found a complete carb rebuild kit (well, the bowl part) for 17$ a carb!! Which, is really cheap compared to most i've found.

Anyhow, I thought i'd share and post a quick 'first impression' and later a 'review' on them. Obviously for 17$ they have to be pretty cheap but I bite the hook and bought them. Never know, maybe they'll last maybe not.

After shipping and taxes etc cost me 100$ (ordered a spare oil filter for 5$ aswell in that price) and received the package 3 days later. They ship from Ontario and I live in Northern Ontario so feels pretty fast.

This is what the items look like, typical boxes

This I found pretty neat on the back of the box, some basic info on jetting and how to adjust (cool for beginners!)

And, the best part, this is whats inside the box

If i knew all the names for every part, i'd list them, but look at the picture and you'll know what comes in. For me they're all 'this piece and piece'

Anyway, here's the link if you guys are interested, i'm NOT advertising I just feel like it's good for people who are on a tight budget, or, cheap like me :D

www.partsnmore.com/parts/kawasaki/kz550/...%5Bfitting%5D=custom

(Just scroll down till you see it ; This specific link is for a KZ550 but they make some for all other models.)

Hope I helped, when I get the chance to install them I will post a short review on them! Thanks

If you ain't first ; You're last

Current bikes :

2013 Kawasaki KLX250s
1984 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD (Project!)
1985 Honda Aero 85 (Rebuilding!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2015 07:05 #657639 by Nessism
No disrespect, but why did you buy carb kits vs. changing out the soft rubber O-rings with parts from Z1? Were the internal brass parts damaged in some way? Reason I ask is because often times aftermarket carb parts are inferior to the originals, and these parts don't really wear much if at all anyway. Be sure to compare all the jet numbers to the originals. Aftermarket carb kits often times have jets that don't perfectly match the originals either.

• daren1093251
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Jan 2015 13:16 #657669 by daren1093251
Replied by daren1093251 on topic Helpful info for people rebuilding their carbs
My carb jets had like a rock or something stuck in them and we just coudn'lt get anything to get it out. I also needed new carb gasket and the bolts inside were stripped and rusty. I could of bought some off of a Z1 like you mentionned, but it's a hassle trying to find some used jets and or carbs, it was a lot easier that way.

And like mentionned above - i bite the hook, i know it's going to be cheap but sometimes you can be impressed with cheaper items. Plus, on a limited budget this is good.

Although I do understand what you are saying, I just thought it was worth sharing for the people like me that were in the same situation.

Current bikes :

2013 Kawasaki KLX250s
The following user(s) said Thank You: BlackZ1R

More
03 Jan 2015 14:13 #657677 by Jonny
Hey Daren,

Welcome to KZR. Thanks for posting that. I am actually halfway in the market for some carb rebuild kits for my bike as well. Don't need the jets or anything, but some new gaskets/o-rings etc... to refresh my carbs for next season. I hadn't seen that parts supplier before, and had a look around their website. They carry a good range of bits that might be useful, and as I am also an Ontarian, it is nice to know that shipping won't be a hassle.

Please do give us a review of the fitment of parts once you've put the carbs back together. I'd be very curious to hear what you think, especially about the quality of the gaskets and rubber bits. While I do a lot of shopping on Z1, sometimes it just isn't worth the hassle and shipping costs to get a handful of small items like o-rings and drain plug screws etc... and I don't always want to wait until I have a big enough order to justify going across the border to pick it up and save on the shipping. Those packages at least say they are made in Japan, which is usually higher quality stuff than some generic/ made in ROC stuff.

I am also originally from Northern Ontario... whereabouts to you call home? I get back up there semi-regularly, and while my 2 wheel fun while up there is my former CB750 (Not nearly as cool as my Kawis, and now owned by my Dad), I am usually up for a good cruise around there at some point during the summer.

Cheers,
Jon

'78 KZ 650C2 'Lila'
'71 Norton Commando 750 'Eadie'

St. Catharines, ON (Mostly, anyway...)

• daren1093251
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Jan 2015 14:28 #657681 by daren1093251
Replied by daren1093251 on topic Helpful info for people rebuilding their carbs
Hi Jon, nice to see another Ontaioen. I am from a small town named Kapuskasing, between Timmins and Cochrane. I have installed all the jets I needed today, and changed the o-rings aswell. Everything fit very well like they should, (which I was impressed, I expected some slight issues.) the rubber felt a hard, at least harder than quality o-rings. But, for 17$ you really gotta expect something like this. I haven't put the carbs back in the bike yet, because well, i'd need the engine in the frame to do that :D

None the less, I am honestly really impressed overall. I'd love to do a more thorough review but like I said I can't try to start it up.

Good day!

Current bikes :

2013 Kawasaki KLX250s

More
03 Jan 2015 14:32 #657683 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Helpful info for people rebuilding their carbs
I was very impressed with the quality of the rebuild kits I got from Keyster (sp?) they were cheap and had all the parts. The needles were not identical to mine but very close and did have the five adjustment slots.

1979 KZ-750 Twin