Vance & Hines Pod Filters?

• almous71
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Newbman
More
14 Nov 2014 12:43 #653708 by almous71
Vance & Hines Pod Filters? was created by almous71
Hi all. Just got a set of spare carbs for my 550 and these Vance & Hines pods came with:

Attachment vhpod.jpg not found

Anyone familiar with them? Can't find any info about these online. Looks like they're cotton gauze, similar to K&N, so maybe I can clean 'em & oil 'em up. Airbox is off at the moment anyway, so figured I'd give these a shot in the dark before I wrestle with it again. I know... probably gonna be an even bigger PITA, but worth a shot anyway.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with these V&H pods.

Thanks

1981 KZ550-A2
Va.Beach, VA
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2014 17:47 #653792 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Vance & Hines Pod Filters?
If you don't have bigger jets and adjustable needles, it will mostly be a waste of time. It may run, but I wouldn't recommend riding it with stock jetting. You'd be asking for trouble running that lean.

• almous71
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Newbman
More
16 Nov 2014 07:26 #653824 by almous71
Replied by almous71 on topic Vance & Hines Pod Filters?
Thanks Lou. I do have adjustables, and I think the jets in this spare set are bigger. I have a drill press if not.

loudhvx wrote: If you don't have bigger jets and adjustable needles, it will mostly be a waste of time. It may run, but I wouldn't recommend riding it with stock jetting. You'd be asking for trouble running that lean.

1981 KZ550-A2
Va.Beach, VA

More
16 Nov 2014 08:44 #653827 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Vance & Hines Pod Filters?
I'd be worried about using a press. It would probably be too fast. It needs to be around 60 to 200 RPM.

Set the needles to the third groove from the top as a starting point. And probably start with mains somewhere around 96 to 100, if you have them, If you use the stock pilots, you will probably want slightly larger mains.

More
16 Nov 2014 09:17 #653830 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Vance & Hines Pod Filters?
I bought these a long long time ago. Still have them. I think they are of the same quality as K&N. They certainly weren't cheap. Side by side they don't look much different. They are not cheaply made by any stretch of the imagination and I would rock them without a doubt. I had them on my kz for years and years.

almous71 wrote: Hi all. Just got a set of spare carbs for my 550 and these Vance & Hines pods came with:

Attachment vhpod.jpg not found

Anyone familiar with them? Can't find any info about these online. Looks like they're cotton gauze, similar to K&N, so maybe I can clean 'em & oil 'em up. Airbox is off at the moment anyway, so figured I'd give these a shot in the dark before I wrestle with it again. I know... probably gonna be an even bigger PITA, but worth a shot anyway.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with these V&H pods.

Thanks

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200