Rotates but won't start

More
06 Nov 2014 03:06 #653015 by karoliens
Rotates but won't start was created by karoliens
My KZ750E-L2 was sitting for some time without fuel tank because I was painting it. And now it just rotates but won't start. Before it was starting just fine. I tried to take out the spark plugs and clean them (they were wet) but after this it still won't start. Also I checked for fuel level at the bowls using clear tube and the results for cylinders are:
#1 2mm
#2 2mm
#3 5mm
#4 5mm

I was thinking that the fuel level might be the cause because firing order is 1-2-4-3 and as shown above cylinders #1 and #2 are getting too much fuel and flood? But then again it was fine before with these specs.

83' Kawasaki KZ750E-L2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2014 16:22 #653315 by weales
Replied by weales on topic Rotates but won't start
If the only thing that has changed was that the fuel tank was off and the bike sat for a while then maybe there is a clue ? How long did the bike sit? If it was months then you may have a "gumming-up" of the carbs/jets - although you say that fuel is getting to the head....? The other variable is the removal of the tank for painting - are you getting spark at the plugs - maybe you've disturbed some ignition/electrics wiring during the removal/replacement of the tank? Also, maybe some paint got where it shouldn't and is affecting the ignition system? Let us know what you find. Cheers, Bill.

Current Project
1968 Norton P11A Desert Sled
Other bike (and daily ride)
2004 Yamaha FZR 600
Previous Bikes
78 Z1-R (resto)
91 Zephyr 750
73 Mach IV (Resto)
78 Z1-R
78 Z1-R (stolen)
76 Z900
76 Z650
73 Mach IV
72 Mach III

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
10 Nov 2014 18:00 - 10 Nov 2014 18:04 #653319 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Rotates but won't start
Your float hieghts needs resetting, but probably not bad enoughto prevent it starting, form what did run ok by your accounts.

A good diagnostic here is to spray some carb cleaner into the pods/airbox. Even if he carbs are bone dry and If it fires up you can eliminate ((for now) any ignition problems. Don't make a habit of this as it washes the bores of oil, but it can help to narrow down your problem.

I suspect you may have inadvertantly damaged some of the coil or HT lead connections under the tank. New 7mm wires, caps, plugs and new crimped coil connectors are a cursory item for me on ay restoration, even without problems..

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces
Last edit: 10 Nov 2014 18:04 by Tyrell Corp.