Z1R hard starting

More
20 Oct 2014 01:33 - 20 Oct 2014 01:34 #651209 by Tripleted
Z1R hard starting was created by Tripleted
Timed, synced the carbs, rechecked the point gap, new battery, new air filter and got the bone stock 1978 Z1R running sweet but it is very hard to start warm or cold/ choke or no choke. It seems to crank and crank without starting then it fires faintly and runs like new. I know these bikes where lean from the factory, do you think this is my problem? Am I looking at raising the needle or a larger pilot jet? I would like to hear from someone with a Z1R that has experienced this.
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Oct 2014 01:34 by Tripleted.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2014 06:17 - 20 Oct 2014 06:19 #651218 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Z1R hard starting
nice bike sir.

my 1980 z1r was starting kinda hard and didn't seem like it would fire until just as i let off the button.
i cleaned up the contact on the button in the switch housing and it seemed to straighten up.

hth,

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Oct 2014 06:19 by 531blackbanshee.

More
20 Oct 2014 06:31 #651219 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Z1R hard starting
I would NOT fiddle with the carbs if it runs well once started.

Instead, try this - when the engine is cold put the choke on; do NOT touch the throttle, and use the kickstarter. If it starts more easily the issue most likely is that the coils are competing the electric starter for electrical power, and the coils are losing the competition. The electric starter draws a lot of juice from the battery. Assuming the battery is fully charged when you're having the problem I would check the voltage at the coils. It's possible that they are not receiving enough voltage to supply a hot spark when the electric starter is running. If that is the case, you may simply need to clean all the connections so the coils have better connectivity. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
20 Oct 2014 16:13 #651278 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Z1R hard starting
Does your Z1R have a ballast resistor? some did I think ...

This ballast resistor is what keeps a fat spark even when the battery voltage is down due to the starter sucking most ofthe power out of it.

When bike is running it the ignition feed goes through a reisitor and the coils are usually running i think on about 6 volts, when bike is cranking the resistor is bypassed and the 6v coil gets a super high charge nearer 10 volts to aid starting. Might be worth checking. as you say it runs sweet once started.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

More
20 Oct 2014 19:06 #651295 by Tripleted
Replied by Tripleted on topic Z1R hard starting
All very good points to go on. I think if the clutch switch allows the engine to crank, it would also allow the engine to fire so I think the switch is OK. I did see a small ballast resistor under the tank just
Ike the old Dodges of the 70's. I will bypass that first and then check the coils next. Today I raised the needle jets and re synced the carbs with the same hard starting problem. I am thinking you guys are right with it being electrical. It cranks and cranks then fires a bit but doesn't start. It seems to start just as I let go of the stRter button. Starved for juice....electrical juice. I will investigate tomorrow and report back. Thanks you guys. This is why I love these forums.
Attachments:

More
21 Oct 2014 17:05 #651365 by Tripleted
Replied by Tripleted on topic Z1R hard starting
I had to try raising the jet needle and I did last night. Still didn't want to start. I got home from work and tested the ballast resistor and the coils...all good. Then I noticed that the fuse in the wire that I use to connect the battery charger had blown. The battery was low due to all that cranking and not starting so I replaced the fuse and let it charge over night. The bike started fine when I got home today and purrs like a Ferrari. If some else is reading this post let it be known that these bike must have a good battery with a full charge to start it with the electric starter.
Thanks to you guys for the posts. I'm glad it was this easy.
Attachments: