Throttle Valve Synchronization ???

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
08 Oct 2014 15:58 #650100 by kzdcw
Throttle Valve Synchronization ??? was created by kzdcw
I'm following the procedure in the FSM, Section: Initial Synchronization-Mechanical and I'm having trouble with the 0.7mm clearance between the throttle valve and bottom of the carburetor bore.

When I loosen the all 4 locknuts under the top covers, then turn the adjusting screw to get the desired clearance, I can't tighten the locknuts down far enough to hold the position of the adjusting screws. In other words I run out of threads ( locknut at the bottom of the adjusting screw ) and in order for the adjusting screw to get tight, it has to be turned in more which in turn closes up the Gap. Now the throttle valve clearance becomes less and is too tight?

I'm using a small paper clip which actually measured slightly over 0.8mm, so I sanded it down to get the desired thickness needed.

The only way I was able to get the adjusting screw to tighten was to use another washer under the existing washer to raise the adjusting screw up?

But I'm sure this not the way to do it and I must be doing something wrong?

Any suggestions you Forum member have to do this operation correctly?

I looked inside the throttle arm where the adjusting screw threads into. I see a ball which must be the joint ball seat. But according to the carburetor diagram, there's a spring underneath? I don't know if that has anything to do with anything?

77' KZ1000A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2014 16:12 #650103 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Throttle Valve Synchronization ???
Check to see where your idle adjustment thumbscrew is set. Is it somewhere close to the center of its range as it should be? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
08 Oct 2014 16:43 #650107 by kzdcw
Replied by kzdcw on topic Throttle Valve Synchronization ???
Ed, I didn't know that had anything to do with the adjustment procedures? I took the whole carb. assembly apart, thoroughly cleaned, and re-aaembled. So i'm happy with how it cam back together. Always happy to LEARN more for you guys that know so much more!

I'll remove those additional washers I installed which I felt was definitely the wrong diction to go.

Ed, correct me if I'm wrong. After all 4 locknuts are loosened, you adjust one carburetor at a time? Then tightened the locknut on that carb. you just finished and move on to the next?

77' KZ1000A

More
08 Oct 2014 18:24 - 08 Oct 2014 18:26 #650113 by 650ed
I'm assuming the procedure is similar to that of my Mikuni VM24SS carbs. If so, the mechanical sync (using the piece of wire) should be done 1 carb at a time but with the entire assembly all put together. You don't need to loosen all 4 locknuts at the same time. Before doing the mechanical sync, you need to ensure that there is 2mm or so clearance between the idle adjustment screw (the throttle stop screw with the big thumb wheel) and the bracket so the throttle stop screw is not holding the carbs open at all. Otherwise you won't be able to adjust them properly. Ed

Attachment 00003a_2014-10-08-2.jpg not found

Attachment 00003d_2014-10-08.jpg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Oct 2014 18:26 by 650ed.

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
08 Oct 2014 20:29 #650123 by kzdcw
Thanks Ed, I over looked that in the FSM prior to Throttle valve adjustment. This has been a non-running bike since purchase, so just trying to methodically go thru all the mechanicals. The carburetors were off the bike when purchased. I just checked and adjusted the the throttle stop gap which is what I was not doing before. I adjusted it to 1.8mm. FSM says between 1.6 and 2.0. Look forward to setting the carbs. in the morning. I bet this time I'll find that I have to screw in the adjuster than out. Will let you how it turns out. And Thanks so much again !!!

77' KZ1000A

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
09 Oct 2014 09:53 #650161 by kzdcw
Ed, Mission accomplished ! Very easy once you explained that idle adjustment screw gap had to be done prior to the throttle valve adjustment. And as I thought, the adjustment screw for the throttle valves all had to be turned in to get the desired clearance or 0.7mm opening. Thanks so much again!

77' KZ1000A

More
09 Oct 2014 10:57 - 09 Oct 2014 10:57 #650166 by 650ed
I'm glad I could help! Ed

Last edit: 09 Oct 2014 10:57 by 650ed.