Very strange gas.....

More
06 Oct 2014 14:45 #649857 by 74ullc
Replied by 74ullc on topic Very strange gas.....

baldy110 wrote: I have NEVER had any luck with pouring a cleaner into the tank and getting to clean the carbs. I always end up tearing into the carbs.

Me neither, but I'm hoping this is different because obviously the fuel has gone bad. I'm hoping that's the only reason it was running bad, it sure wouldn't run good on separated gas with water in it! It's not a terribly big deal to pull the carbs but I'm going to try some cleaner first and see what happens. Why not, if nothing else maybe it will clean the valves and spark plugs a bit.

I'll report back what happens. Probably next weekend.

Gulf Coast, Texas
1977 KZ1000LTD
1984 VF700F

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2014 15:58 #649872 by ed spangler
Replied by ed spangler on topic Very strange gas.....

turboking wrote: ethanol sucks :angry: :angry: let our government know your unhappy .......it's only going to get worse for us :S

+1
You are Damn right turboking!!
I am very LUCKY!! ;)
There are a LOT of places around here that have 100% Gas and believe me thats exactly what I buy!! :woohoo:
I dont give a crap what anyone says!!...Ethanol is LOUSY! Garbage! I dont even put it in my lawnmower! :angry: :angry:
Thats my opinion, I believe it and frankly, I dont care if someone doesnt like it.
Ed

Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's

More
06 Oct 2014 17:55 #649888 by 74ullc
Were do you live Ed? Lucky you have real gas available. I'm not even sure its available in the state of Texas anymore. For sure no where even remotely close to the Houston area. I know there are those websites that say where ethanol free gas is, but every time I have called one of those stations they tell me they have ethanol in all their gas.

I figured by now its in 100% of the gas in the US. Have you tested it to be sure its really ethanol free?

Yes, ethanol is crap, but no choice for most of us.

Gulf Coast, Texas
1977 KZ1000LTD
1984 VF700F

More
06 Oct 2014 19:29 - 06 Oct 2014 19:43 #649902 by autotech2@tx.rr.com
Replied by autotech2@tx.rr.com on topic Very strange gas.....
Separating at the bottom is typically water. Drain and flush the tank and lines. Drain the carbs by pulling the bowl caps (if you have them). Just draining with the drain screw won't get the water that settles in the cap, which is being sucked by the jets. Make sure all is squeaky clean before pulling the carbs and checking the jets for corrosion build up.

No fuel additive is gonna help if there's a significant amount of water in the fuel. Gotta wash it out.
Last edit: 06 Oct 2014 19:43 by autotech2@tx.rr.com.

More
06 Oct 2014 22:19 #649918 by !Seymore
Replied by !Seymore on topic Very strange gas.....
Don't know how current this is, for where you are... but a good resource nonetheless!

pure-gas.org/

C.
79' KZ650-D2 [fsm] (Max)
83' KZ750-F1 LTD [clymers] (Kay)
82' KZ1100-D1 Specter (another project)
78' KZ650-B2a (J&H, A Project)
91' KZ1000-P (P = parts)

More
07 Oct 2014 04:24 #649926 by ed spangler
Replied by ed spangler on topic Very strange gas.....

74ullc wrote: Were do you live Ed? Lucky you have real gas available. I'm not even sure its available in the state of Texas anymore. For sure no where even remotely close to the Houston area. I know there are those websites that say where ethanol free gas is, but every time I have called one of those stations they tell me they have ethanol in all their gas.

I figured by now its in 100% of the gas in the US. Have you tested it to be sure its really ethanol free?

Yes, ethanol is crap, but no choice for most of us.

Howdy!
East Tennessee!! :woohoo:
Actually, it seems to be a "Trend" here in East Tennessee and folks are LOVING IT! going Ethanol free in the gas that is, I think folks have complained about it so much that retailers have figured out its a money maker to offer Ethanol free in stores and of course they charge extra, usually 3-6 cents a gallon more. No I havnt tested it, other than I can tell a difference when I run the Ethanol Free in my bikes, my car and and when I am forced to buy the with Ethanol. On my Vintage bike ,my 75 Z1-B 900, I can DEFINITELY tell a difference in how it runs when I use the Ethanol Free, on my 2003 Harley Heriatge, it Pops and spits on the Ethanol added, doesnt on the 100% gas.
For kicks I have checked the MPG in my wifes 2012 Chevy impala, believe it or not she gets about 4 mies per gallon more on the Ethanol Free!...So as far as doiing a Lab test ? Nope, but Real World differences sure seem to be there! Interestingly, you may find that Ethanol Free is Quietly being offered at Farmers Co-Ops!! I know it is here, seems a lot of Farm equipment doesnt do well on the Ethanol, at least thats what I am told, now though its a lot of independent retailers who are offering the Ethanol free.
Regards!!!
Ed

Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's

More
18 Oct 2014 11:08 #651031 by 74ullc
I should have updated this last Saturday but better late than never....

Last Saturday I drained the gallon or so out of the tank, it was dark yellow and had plenty of water still in it. Put some fresh gas in the tank to swish it around and dumped it again.

Drained all four carbs and then let some fresh gas run through them. Took a look at the spark plugs and they were white and ashy. I left them dirty figuring that once its running on some decent gas it will clean the plugs on its own.

Sure enough, started right up and was missing and popping a little bit right at first but started running much better once it warmed up. I jumped on my Honda and my dad jumped on the KZ and we went for an 80 mile ride. He said during the first 20 miles or so it was running a little rough but by the time we got to our destination 40 miles away it was good. On the way home he said it was running very good, good enough that he wouldn't trade and let me ride the KZ for the last 20 miles. We passed a couple cars on the way home and hit 100+ and he said it still had plenty left at 100. (on a side note, the Honda feels great at 100, the KZ starts getting a little interesting at that speed, not bad, just time to really pay attention, the Honda feels leisurely at 100)

Checked the KZ spark plugs after it cooled off and they are all perfect toasted marshmallow golden brown. I took it for a quick ride yesterday and its good, all back to normal.

So, it was just the gas. So keep some sort of fuel stabilizer in your gas at all times! I think if I had put marine stabil in that tank full it would have been fine. First time I forget to add stabil and just like that it goes to crap.

Gulf Coast, Texas
1977 KZ1000LTD
1984 VF700F