Butterfly very slow to return

More
02 Oct 2014 19:29 - 02 Oct 2014 19:48 #649469 by Nduetime
Butterfly very slow to return was created by Nduetime
So I've decided to bag the idea of getting my KZ400 running on one carb and move back to stock in an attempt to ride my first motorcycle. I've purchased replacement diaphragms and scored some NOS boots for the stock carbs that came with the bike purchase. I methodically dissembled the first (right) carb, cleaned and reassembled prior to moving on to the next (left.) After finishing, I proceeded to link the two carbs back together. Before putting the carb assembly on the bike, I played with the throttle (...pivot? I'm not sure what it's called. It's neither listed or shown in either the Carburetor Assembly or Carburetor Parts section on Partzilla, or any other parts diagram I can find. It's the part both throttle cables attach to on the carb assembly.) This was earlier this week and I didn't notice any places it felt like it was catching under throttle simulation nor any resistance when letting it return under it's own power. In fact, it would snap back as I would expect (although I have no experience to base my assumption on.)

Today, I put the carb assembly onto the bike and routed the throttle cables onto the assembly. I've noticed that when the throttle is pulled (butterflies opened) there is a considerable amount of resistance. Once i release, they are very slow to fully return and can't make it without assistance. This is done off the bike and without cables involved as you can see this in the video below. I've removed the right carb from the assembly to see what was creating resistance and have narrowed it down to something on the right carb. The left snaps close just like I believe it should.

[IMG

Can someone offer me advise as to what may be causing this? I don't remember it (the right carburetor) doing this a couple of days ago, but then again, I don't specifically remember checking only this carburetor. Again, I didn't experience this when both carbs were cleaned and linked days ago. Also, the carburetors have been stored inside all week and not exposed to any elements.

'77 KZ400 D4
Last edit: 02 Oct 2014 19:48 by Nduetime.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2014 23:15 #649487 by !Seymore
Replied by !Seymore on topic Butterfly very slow to return
Your photobucket image is not showing. Please correct this.

C.
79' KZ650-D2 [fsm] (Max)
83' KZ750-F1 LTD [clymers] (Kay)
82' KZ1100-D1 Specter (another project)
78' KZ650-B2a (J&H, A Project)
91' KZ1000-P (P = parts)

More
03 Oct 2014 12:23 #649537 by Nduetime
Replied by Nduetime on topic Re:Butterfly very slow to return
I'm not sure there anything I hate more than photobucket. The only thing it has going for it is the free storage capacity. I'll try to fix the video tonight for future reference but I seem to have solved the problem.

Turns out the carb needed to be rinsed a little better. I'll reassemble and fire it up tonight.

'77 KZ400 D4

More
03 Oct 2014 13:23 #649555 by !Seymore
Replied by !Seymore on topic Re:Butterfly very slow to return

Nduetime wrote: ...but I seem to have solved the problem.

Turns out the carb needed to be rinsed a little better. I'll reassemble and fire it up tonight.

Good to hear. Keep us posted...

C.
79' KZ650-D2 [fsm] (Max)
83' KZ750-F1 LTD [clymers] (Kay)
82' KZ1100-D1 Specter (another project)
78' KZ650-B2a (J&H, A Project)
91' KZ1000-P (P = parts)