very low idle

• sebastian6880
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Sep 2014 22:23 #646966 by sebastian6880
very low idle was created by sebastian6880
Hey guys I have a 1979 KZ400 LTD. So far the bike has a jet kit, pods and stock exhaust. the bike ran fine when i first got it running. Then I stopped getting fuel. After cleaning the carbs and reinstalling them again. I can't get it running unless the choke it wide open and I have the throttle all the way open. Even with all that going on I can't get the RPMS over 1500. Idle is very very low and wont stay running. Any thoughts on why this would be? Thank you ahead of time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2014 05:22 #646979 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic very low idle
Were the pod filters on it when it last ran properly? If not, you may want to reinstall the stock filtration system to get it running right, then start with the rejetting process.

Were the carbs bench-synched before reinstallation?

Were the slow speed jets set the same?

Has the fuel level been checked using the clear tube method?

Are there air leaks between the carbs and the intake manifolds?

Leaks between the manifolds and the head?

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
10 Sep 2014 05:28 #646982 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic very low idle
Petcock clogged?

Low fuel level in tank and petcock not on RES?

Fuel line clogged?

Fuel filter clogged or of the wrong type?

Fuel line kinked?

New pile of trash in the carbs from rusty, dirty tank and no fuel filter?

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• sebastian6880
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Sep 2014 07:41 #646996 by sebastian6880
Replied by sebastian6880 on topic very low idle
i had the tank cleaned. i did add a fuel filter to the line becuase i just wanted to make sure no particles flowed to the carbs. i am getting wet plugs. it didn't run when i brought it home. the previous owner told me of the carb rebuild. but fuel was dumping out of the carbs. i bought a rebuild kit because i wanted to start fresh. and also since the float was bad. that is when i noticed the jets in the carbs were bigger than the stock rebuild kit that i had ordered. I did adjust the floats using a clear hose. i do have the air box. i haven't reinstalled them since added the pods. i haven't had the carbs synced i just adjusted the screws to 2 1/2 turn. thats pretty much where i am at. it did run and idle just fine when i first put everything together. after letting it run for about 15 minutes thats when it shut off on me. then i could only start it when i have choke all the way open and throttle all the way turned and i was still only getting around 1500 rpms.