One cylinder dead after Carb Swap on Kz750 twin

• USNavy_Perez
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Sep 2014 09:51 - 09 Sep 2014 10:14 #646848 by USNavy_Perez
1982 KZ750 Twin w/ Stock Airbox and Stock Exhaust.

Bought the bike not running, cleaned out carbs and started up first kick. The only problem was it wouldn't idle or stay running without the choke on. So I removed the carbs, tried taking out the idle jet, stripped the idle jet, and broke the carb body.

I ordered a set of carb bodies on ebay, swapped out all the old parts and started the bike up, this time it will start and idle without the choke, but when I unplug the the left cylinder spark plug wire, the bike immediately turns off. When I do the same thing to the right cylinder, the bike stays on, no change in idle or anything. I did not bench sync the carbs or sync them at all yet, and I know for a fact they were WAY off, but I had no idea how to sync them. I plan on going home after work and swapping a couple of things to see if its an electrical problem, or fuel problem.

I haven't changed the oil, oil filter, or Spark plugs yet. If I can catch the shop open after work I plan on picking up some stuff for a tune-up.
Could a very unsynced carb cause no/low fire on that specific cylinder?
Last edit: 09 Sep 2014 10:14 by USNavy_Perez.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2014 01:08 #646971 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic One cylinder dead after Carb Swap on Kz750 twin
Bench sync on the carbs: set them up with the smooth end of a small drill bit to accurately set the gap on the carb butterfly at idle position.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
10 Sep 2014 01:09 #646972 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic One cylinder dead after Carb Swap on Kz750 twin

USNavy_Perez wrote: 1982 KZ750 Twin w/ Stock Airbox and Stock Exhaust.
Could a very unsynced carb cause no/low fire on that specific cylinder?

Yes, it could. Also check fuel levels in carbs.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• USNavy_Perez
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Sep 2014 08:34 #647005 by USNavy_Perez
Replied by USNavy_Perez on topic One cylinder dead after Carb Swap on Kz750 twin
I'm definitley going to get home and bench sync the carbs tonight. I spent all afternoon yesterday trying to figure out why the starter was not working. The Switch was bad so I cut off the switch, than bypassed the Clutch interlock and figured out my starter "WAS" working. After a couple of cranks the starter just starting spinning rather than turning over the engine.

At least I have the kick start haha.

More
10 Sep 2014 11:39 #647032 by bountyhunter

USNavy_Perez wrote: I'm definitley going to get home and bench sync the carbs tonight. I spent all afternoon yesterday trying to figure out why the starter was not working. The Switch was bad so I cut off the switch, than bypassed the Clutch interlock and figured out my starter "WAS" working. After a couple of cranks the starter just starting spinning rather than turning over the engine.

At least I have the kick start haha.

Sounds like the starter clutch is not engaging. The 750 twin is known to have starter clutch problems, although mine has never had a problem.

1979 KZ-750 Twin