Vacuum slide

More
08 Sep 2014 04:27 #646655 by crooked750
Vacuum slide was created by crooked750
Hi everyone, this is my first time so please, be gentle. I'm very new maintenance stuff, and this is my first time cleaning carbs. I've run into a problem with the vacuum slide. I gave them a clean and now 2 of the slides aren't sliding down all that freely. I'm not sure if the diaphragms aren't making a good seal, or if the slides are damaged. I'm looking at replacing the whole set of slides and diaphragms, although I'd rather not spend the cash. Can anyone offer some advice/ resources? The carbs I'm using are Mikuni BS34's on an inline 4 KZ750P3

Attachment image.jpg not found

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
08 Sep 2014 06:03 #646666 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Vacuum slide
Carbs usually wear around the slide area, it is good practice to replace each slide back to it's original carb. Wear will usually show up as grooves in the carb body bore and wear marks on the slide. Running badly out of balance carbs causes chattering and can accelerate the rate of wear.

You should be able to flick the slide up with just finger pressure against the light return spring, and it should return. It won't snap shut instantly like a slide carb, but will close very quickly, damped by the rubber diagpragm.

I always lube the slides with a touch of engine oil. Make sure your diapragms are fitted exactly right, they are difficult to find and expensive to replace . Hold all the rubbers up to the light, even a pinhole here will mess things up -even worse on a 4 cylinder as you might not notice it, whilst risking engine damage. Also any leaks here could potentially weaken the mixture enough to cause piston crown melting

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

More
09 Sep 2014 03:21 #646800 by crooked750
Replied by crooked750 on topic Vacuum slide
Thanks heaps dude! Really need as much knowledge from experienced people as I can get. I gave all the slides a clean with a rag, as well as the housing, now everything is moving nicely!
Thanks again!