poor idle / strong hesitation at WOT

More
07 Sep 2014 16:02 #646608 by alexnelson
poor idle / strong hesitation at WOT was created by alexnelson
Mistakenly put this in the engine thread. Cross-posting.

Symptoms

Idle: Takes a good 10 minutes to warm up to the point where I don't need to use the choke - mid-summer. This has gotten progressively worse over the last two seasons.

Throttle: When I twist to WOT, power drops out/hesitates then picks up after a couple seconds. Typically in the 4K-6K RPM range.

Exhaust: Little rich. Getting small backfires after letting off the throttle at higher RPMs.

All of these symptoms have been progressively worsening over the last 2 years.

Status

I have the carb off now to check for debris. It's looking fairly clean. I also needed to check my jetting because I didn't know where I was at. Previous owner put on a 4-1 so I wanted to make sure jetting was up at least a step. It is. I believe 102.5 mains are stock. I'm at 105. Pilots are at 15, which is stock.

Last year I had a mechanic set the valve clearances. I also asked them to fix this hesitation issue I have. No luck. Asked another mechanic to take a look at it this year too. No luck. Pretty bummed about that.

Electrical is good. I have a Dyna ignition and coils. Good solid spark. I'm pretty sure fuel from the tank and through the petcock is coming in fine.

Air filter is maybe a tad dusty but not so bad. I sprayed a little carb cleaner into the air box with the filter out and it had no real effect.

Next steps

I'm cleaning the carb. I can't see any obvious reason to change the jetting. I haven't checked the floats yet so that's on my trouble shooting list.

Any ideas guys? Gone through two mechanics and I've been stumped on this for a couple years now.

Cheers,
-A

78 KZ650-D1
K&N pods + 4-1 Pipe
Mikuni VM24 - 7.5/115/#4 Clip
Dyna-S
Dyna 3-Ohm Coils
Vancouver BC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2014 17:32 #646623 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic poor idle / strong hesitation at WOT
Check for vacuum leaks around the carb holders

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.