1978 KZ1000 carbs

More
18 Aug 2014 10:30 #644354 by stratcat
1978 KZ1000 carbs was created by stratcat
I recently got a '78 KZ1000 that had sat for 8 years and the previous owner had tampered with the carbs.
At first, fuel came out of the overflows and the bike wouldn't crank except with ether.
Got the bowls off & got the floats cleaned & freed up and happy.
Found 3 of the jets were 100% clogged. Got them clear.
I'm looking for a starting point on how to get the bike going after reassembling the carbs.
Most of the tuning info I've found pertains to the one on the right in the pic.
Are these in fact, VM26s? The engine side ID is 26.5mm and the intake side OD is 42mm.
The carbs at left are mine but when I Google "VM26", I get ones like the one on the right.
Thanks!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2014 19:56 #644405 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 1978 KZ1000 carbs

stratcat wrote: I recently got a '78 KZ1000 that had sat for 8 years and the previous owner had tampered with the carbs.
At first, fuel came out of the overflows and the bike wouldn't crank except with ether.
Got the bowls off & got the floats cleaned & freed up and happy.
Found 3 of the jets were 100% clogged. Got them clear.
I'm looking for a starting point on how to get the bike going after reassembling the carbs.
Most of the tuning info I've found pertains to the one on the right in the pic.
Are these in fact, VM26s? The engine side ID is 26.5mm and the intake side OD is 42mm.
The carbs at left are mine but when I Google "VM26", I get ones like the one on the right.
Thanks!

Stock 1978 KZ1000-A2 has Mikuni 26mm carbs (bore diameter on engine side being slightly over 26mm).
The carbs have a bottom-located pilot mixture screw (as opposed to other Mik 26mm designs with side-located pilot air screws.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: stratcat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.