Jet kit and idle problems

• capobeachrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Aug 2014 13:11 #643074 by capobeachrider
Jet kit and idle problems was created by capobeachrider
Hey guys, I'm Dave. Just bought a 1981 kz 650csr, It has pods and after market exhaust. Yet, with the pods on it will bog out while I ride it or sitting and I give it gas but when I take the pods off and cruise around. It has a lot of power and rides really good to be honest, but it will idle for a lil bit then die and sometime will idle extremely high as i am stopping then will go back down to regular idle. Any clues on what I can do about that? I'm also looking to get as much power out of the bike as possible, so im going to buy a stage 3 jet kit for my bike. Couldn't find any videos or forums about people doing it to this year and model bike so I was hoping someone on here might be able to help me and give me tips on it or any suggestions.
Thanks you guys!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2014 13:37 #643076 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Jet kit and idle problems
Your best bet is finding a stock airbox and using the stock filter. If you cannot (or will not) do that, check to ensure the pods are not blocking any of the little orifices on the intake side of the carbs. In any case, don't run the bike without air filtration or the road grit etc. will kill the piston rings and cylinder walls. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
07 Aug 2014 13:59 #643078 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Jet kit and idle problems
Here's a video and some info to consider. Jetting changes were made to run at wide open throttle for 24 hours, but notice the thingy in the yellow circle. ;) Ed

Attachment WORLDRECORDS.jpg not found

Attachment 00003a_2014-08-07.jpg not found

Attachment 00003_2014-08-07-3.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
07 Aug 2014 20:21 #643110 by LineArtist
Replied by LineArtist on topic Jet kit and idle problems

650ed wrote: notice the thingy in the yellow circle. ;) Ed

When I got my bike, my HD friend said get pods and a 4-1 exhaust. I didn't say anything and took note of his comments. That conversation was about 9 months ago. Today he road my very stock 650 and was impressed by the power and response. It took me a while to get it running how it is today, but I'm glad I have a 1979 stock bike that runs well and has good power and handling.

I also noted on this forum there are 2 sides of the coin, stock and modified. The bikes getting the most miles are stock while the others are constantly running into air mix issues with pods (but not all).

It's well worth taking 650ed's advice and getting the bike back to stock, tuning it to perfection and then making a decision where to take it.

The other thing is "making power". And pods don't directly equate to more power because of more air. The standard air box was engineered to max out air into the carbs. Compression, displacement, valves and pistons, exhaust generally account for producing HP. So give it some thought before applying that stage 3 to something that isn't properly tuned to itself.

...just my 79 cents

'79 KZ650B3 (stock)
'79 KZ650B3 (parts bike)
'06 HD 883R
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed