Cleaning procedures for VM 28's

• Z1Driver
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
08 Jul 2014 14:37 - 08 Jul 2014 14:38 #639323 by Z1Driver
Cleaning procedures for VM 28's was created by Z1Driver
I read a while back and can't find it now even using search. It seems I saw directions on where to spray carb cleaner and the what the corresponding hole/port would be. It seemed like there were directions on which port to cover with a finger while cleaning too.

If someone could re post this I would be forever in your debt and will make sure I print off a copy for future use. The reason I ask is because I'm at the point of needing to clean the carbs before I put them back on the bike. These have been off for almost 2 years and just need to blow them out real good. Plus #2 was burning a tad rich. I think the air needle is involved. I can turn it in or out and there is no change. The other 3 work as advertised.

I'll finish the install with a carb tune. :P
Thanks in advance, Tim

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14
Last edit: 08 Jul 2014 14:38 by Z1Driver.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2014 15:11 #639329 by peter1958
The following user(s) said Thank You: Z1Driver

• Z1Driver
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Jul 2014 16:18 #639333 by Z1Driver
Replied by Z1Driver on topic Cleaning procedures for VM 28's
Thanks, I was looking for which hole to plug so the carb cleaner would come out of hole # what ever. The vid was what I was looking for but I found it anyways. Nw, off to get some of the nastiest carb cleaner on can get in a can today. Sure wish I could find some with a little MEK in it. Thanks Tim

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14

More
08 Jul 2014 16:22 #639334 by peter1958

More
08 Jul 2014 16:59 #639342 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Cleaning procedures for VM 28's
for future reference I have made Patton's info into a PDF and uploaded it to the filebase under General. Its titled "Suggested cleaning method for VM 28's"

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project
The following user(s) said Thank You: Old Rider

More
02 Aug 2014 17:11 #642502 by mopguy
Replied by mopguy on topic Cleaning procedures for VM 28's
By the way I have learned how to rebuild my carburetors from the guys on this site, I can now do them like a pro. thanks to people like Patton and others on this site, these people have a vast amount of knowledge on these bikes , and its nice of them for sharing it, so don't be scared to ask questions and get your hands dirty, another thing I learned here is that I tried all kinds of cleaners to clean my carbs, but nothing cleans better than what a member here recommended, soaking carbs in diesel fuel.

I have a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 Ltd. I bought new. I recently managed to get it out of my garage after 28 years and put it on the road again (2010). I feel like a kid all over again. Since I have acquired 3 78 KZ1000 Ltd, 1 1981 KZ1000 Ltd, and another 1980 KZ750 Ltd. Love the LTD's.

• Z1Driver
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Aug 2014 18:18 - 17 Aug 2014 18:26 #644294 by Z1Driver
I just thought I would share some things about cleaning my VM28's. The chart I got on which hole to block, squirt in port and should get cleaner out of port X.

Worked like a champ. I had a carb problem on #2. I could screw the air bleed all the way in or out without change in engine RPM. The other three worked as they are supposed to. So I got a chart and instructions. My port Number 6 was in fact plugged on #2. After following procedures, I now have carb cleaner coming out of port #6.

I have not fired the motor yet but I'm confident #2 will have a working sir screw adjustment.

Carb cleaner. I went to NAPA and asked for a can of the nastiest,most environmentally unsafe carb clear they had. I was directed to a can of Vavoline Heavy duty carb cleaner. I tested this stuff and found it would remove stuff the other carb cleaner I had on hand would not touch.

If I got some of this carb clearner on my hands or forehead, I was immediately aware of it more so if on the forehead. . I think I just found a new brand of carb cleaner which will actually work until the EPA figures it out. :whistle:

Patton wrote: Here's a better cleaning method, because it's critical that the #6 orifices into the carb bore (from the pilot passage #5) are clean and clear.

If the #6 orifices are tightly clogged, running cleaner as shown in the video will simply flow out the #2 pilot air passage and won't run through the #6 orifices, which leaves the #6 orifices just as clogged as they were to begin with.

Good Fortune! :)

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14
Last edit: 17 Aug 2014 18:26 by Z1Driver.

More
17 Aug 2014 20:53 #644319 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic Cleaning procedures for VM 28's
it's funny you say that about valvoline carb spray the rep was in as we are switching brake cleaner washer fluid shop essentials etc... he was talking about the brake clean and carb clean products recently being reformulated based
on the input from the tech surveys and as my ADD kicked in the rest was blah blah blah but I did catch the part
where they have reformulated those 2 products to actualy work in a shop environment

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

More
17 Aug 2014 22:15 #644322 by kzdcw
Replied by kzdcw on topic Cleaning procedures for VM 28's
Look forward to using Patton's method to clean my Vm26's off my 77' KZ1000. I originally removed all pilot and main jets and cleaned them. Used a little Purple Power and cleaned most external grime. What are your thoughts soaking the carb assembly in Kerosene or Diesel Fuel? Soaked my Drive Chain in Kerosene and did a great job in cleaning it.

77' KZ1000A

More
17 Aug 2014 22:35 #644323 by Old Rider
Replied by Old Rider on topic Cleaning procedures for VM 28's
Ok, I know it sounds dumb but over the past 2 yrs I started soaking mine in Pine Sol over night and rebuilding them the next day. Its not as good a chemical dip but sure does smell better. Just had the throw that in sure some one will be scratching the head now Going REALLY! John.

Old Dogs never Die.

• Z1Driver
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Aug 2014 16:02 #644521 by Z1Driver
Pine Sol? Hey what ever works. I like the smell of pine trees anyways. I'm not so sure I understand why Diesel would dissolve residue from gas. I would think gas would be the better solvent. But what do I know. I know gas won't cut it. Tim

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14