Breaking up at 5000

• Christophera
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Jul 2014 17:15 - 07 Jul 2014 17:16 #639195 by Christophera
Breaking up at 5000 was created by Christophera
Hello everyone,
I have a 81 Csr that I recently turned into a café racer (first bike project ive done), before the conversion the bike ran great no issues. I replaced the stock airbox with pod filters and also changed the exhaust to a freer flowing system, now i can barely get it passed 5k and it breaks up, it also has no go passed 1/4 throttle and just bogs. I assume it needs to be jetted, now I am very very new to motorcycles and I figure with more air going through the engine its running to lean but Im guessing, the stock jets are 102.5 I believe that's whats in the carbs now but I have not checked (just got it running today) any ideas if it could be anything else? or advice on what I should change the jets too?
thanks guys.
Last edit: 07 Jul 2014 17:16 by Christophera.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2014 17:30 #639197 by Sieklist
Replied by Sieklist on topic Breaking up at 5000
Hi....I'm no bike mechanic...and am new to kawasaki. I have another bike a suzuki intruder I am on intruderalert.com for.

I too had many questions about these mods....if the bikes are anything the same which I would assume they are...the systems made up of like components....

I know if you changed to pod filters a rejet is in order...and if exhaust was changed to a more free flowing system...you may want to look into back pressure...the stock baffle comes designed for adequate back pressure through all power bands...modifications to the exhaust should call for a carb sync or if your new exhaust has no baffle you should want a baffle or lollipop installed and still will need to resync carbs....again these are just a few ideas...I saw that no one had responded good luck brother
The following user(s) said Thank You: Christophera

More
07 Jul 2014 20:19 #639221 by Topper
Replied by Topper on topic Breaking up at 5000
You'll definitely run lean with that setup. Some guys restrict the air flowing through the pods by stuffing them with scotch bright pads. You'll also need a small screen to ensurd the pads don't get sucked into the carbs. It'll help a little but you'll still need to rejet.

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

More
08 Jul 2014 05:04 #639236 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Breaking up at 5000
There were several CSR models in 1981. Is the bike a KZ650?